NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What are RawLimits?

Does anyone know what RawLimits are?

I stumbled upon this when working on a reportgen plug-in, and it's the first I'm seeing of it.  My first guess was that they were meant to support the EQT comparison, in that the Limits are the values input by the programmer and the RawLimits are the values actually used in comparison.  If that were the case, in the example below I would expect [2].RawLimits.Low to be 9145.5.  But it's not.

I've found no mention of this anywhere: forums, TestStand Help, etc.

Any help?

Thanks,
Seth

Rawlimits.JPG

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(4,122 Views)

Hi Seth,

When i am looking at my TS2016 NumericLimitTest StepType (Version 16.0.0.3) there is no RawLimits Container. Maybe you have overridden your NI_Types.ini(2016-06-21 17:13) with another one

Screen1.png

Regards

Juergen

--Signature--
Sessions NI-Week 2017 2016
Feedback or kudos are welcome
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(4,087 Views)

Hi Juergen,

I checked the StepType, and it matches the version you listed (16.0.0.3).  I also checked the NI_Types.ini files, and it has the same modified date/time.  Finally, I checked to make sure I wasn't overriding the file from the public directory or anything like that, and I'm not.  

Also, I was using a custom process model, but I tried it with the default Sequential model, and it's doing the same thing.  

I can verify that the StepType does look as you showed (with the ThresholdTypeExpr and such) in the Types window, but I don't know why it's not transferring that to the runtime step.

Thanks,

Seth

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(4,068 Views)

Seth,

The RawLimits container holds the actual value that was passed to the Upper and Lower Threshold and is the value that the EQT comparison will evaluate against. The Limits container holds the values shown in the specified Numeric Format. For example, if you select Integer as the Numeric Format and put a Lower Threshold of 9.5, you will get a Warning popup indicating that the value will change. In this case you will see 9.5 in the RawLimits container, and 9 in the Limits container.

Warning.PNG

NewLimit.png

It's also worth noting that the calculated measurement values, 9145.5 in your case, are used for the calculation but not stored anywhere accessible.

Jason H
Automated Test Software R&D
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(4,064 Views)

Hi Seth,

You are right. I have not seen that you are referenceing the step.result. object.

I have the same behaviour, too.

But this leads to more... See next post.

Regards

Juergen

--Signature--
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(4,052 Views)

Hi Jason,

thanks for clarifying.

on my TestStand 2016 no message box will occure. It is poping up when switching from Integer to Default and back to Integer. I also wonder where the Numeric Format is stored in step properties, at least i can not find a refenencing step-variable to it. 

Screen1.png  

How it looks like when runnig it:Screen2.png

Btw: If you are not using the default numeric format you have to be carefully

and you should not trust that what you read on description or even finally in the report.

Regards

Juergen

--Signature--
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(4,050 Views)

Jason and Juergen,

Thanks for the replies.  I think this concept of RawLimits really should be explained in a white-paper or in the help files somewhere.  I'm writing a couple result processing plug-ins, and seeing that extra information pop-up in the ResultList was a bit startling, especially as there seems to be no mention of it in any of the documentation.  

How would I best put in a documentation request?  Via NI's support site?  or is on here sufficient?

Thanks,
Seth

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(4,031 Views)

Seth,

I can take care of the documentation request from here. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Jason H
Automated Test Software R&D
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(4,026 Views)

Jason,

Sounds good.  Thanks for taking care of that.  

Could you please respond to this thread when the documentation is updated?

-Seth

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(4,024 Views)