NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Warning about skchui.dll

Following Warning is displayed during exit from TestStand:
     Your system contains the Microsoft Tablet PC Platform Component, skchui.dll
     (version 1.0.1038).  Microsoft has reported that this version of the component
     is known to cause GDI memory leaks in applications that host the Microsoft
     Internet Explorer control. Please refer to the TestStand readme file for more
     information.

Any clue about this warning.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 22
(7,190 Views)

Vidula -
The message states that the TestStand readme has more information, and it states the following:

The TestStandApplications that create and destroy the Microsoft Internet Explorer (IE) control might leak GDI memory, making the application and the computer unstable. The memory leak occurs when you run the application on Windows XP Service Pack 2 and you installed the Handwriting feature (version 1.0.1038 of the Skchui.dll file) for a Microsoft Office product on the computer. For TestStand, the sequence editor creates new instances of the IE control for each new execution document, and each ReportView User Interface control creates a new instance of the IE control. To prevent this GDI memory leak, uninstall the Handwriting feature for any Microsoft Office product and for any other product that uses this shared feature. Refer to the Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 896429, located at http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;896429, for more information about this issue.

Hope this helps...

Scott Richardson
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 22
(7,160 Views)
I tried the workaround in the Microsoft article, but I still get the warning message.  Are there other Microsoft applications (other than Office) that use the handwriting feature?  Is there a different workaround, such as deleting or updating the DLL?
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 22
(6,985 Views)

This worked for me try it, see if it works for you:

Open TestStand, and go to Configure->Station Options, click the Preferences tab, then click the "Debug Options..." button at the bottom. This will open the Debug Options window where you can uncheck the Report Object Leaks option.

Regards,

Vidula

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 22
(6,981 Views)
The reason why this worked is because you are no longer warning the users about problems.  The object leaks still happen, we just don't tell you.  I have tried removing the DLL and the problem has gone away.  However, you can't be certain that it will be added again by another application or if you repair an installer that adds the DLL.

Allen P.
NI
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 22
(6,975 Views)
Mark

To answer your question - you can find out more about which application installs a given MS DLL from the following website
http://support.microsoft.com/dllhelp

Note: I have found instances where in this page is not up to date.

I did a search for DLL and found out that 'Microsoft Project Server 2002' also uses this DLL. See the following link
http://support.microsoft.com/dllhelp/default.aspx?l=55&fid=880

I have not tired it but I think there should be a similar setting Microsoft Project Server which allows you un-install this DLL.

Hope this helps
Anand Jain
National Instruments

Message Edited by Anand Jain on 11-12-2007 11:00 PM

Message Edited by Anand Jain on 11-12-2007 11:02 PM
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 22
(6,963 Views)
Mark -
To workaround the problem once, I took a simple route and just renamed the file and there was no bad effects. My Office applications did not complain.
Scott Richardson
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 22
(6,926 Views)

I deleted the file, and the next time I opened Word, it ran the installer and re-installed the file.  The solution in the microsoft knowledgebase does me no good either.  Any other ideas on how to get rid of this?
Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 22
(6,815 Views)
parkerfly,

Just to clarify - you've tried renaming the file, deleting the file, and all of the steps in the Microsoft KnowledgeBase article, and none worked for you?
Derrick S.
Product Manager
NI DIAdem
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 22
(6,794 Views)
Yes, that's correct.  I deleted it, it came back.  I renamed it, it was restored.  I went through the steps in the knowledgebase article and even had someone here look it over to make sure I didn't miss anything, and still get the error....
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 22
(6,776 Views)