NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using MPLAB REAL ICE to program PIC24F with Labview

Evening,

I don't see much mention, if any, in regards to Labview working directly with Microchip's MPLAB REAL ICE programmer. Using Microchip's software, it's pretty easy to do a program/verify of my PIC24F microcontroller, however - I'd like to streamline everything over Labview (as everything else alraedy is).

Does anyone have any possible direction on how I should begin going about this? Any input will be appreciated! Thank you! 🙂

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(4,000 Views)

Alex,

You need to check third part integration of the MPLAB REAL ICE software.

This should help you :

http://www.microchip.ru/files/software/mplabi/51234a.pdf

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(3,993 Views)

Alex,

Are you hoping to use LabVIEW or TestStand? 

Ben D.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(3,979 Views)

SunRS - Thanks much, I spent some time this morning paging through more mplab/real ice documentation and I eventually stumbled into what I needed.

Your direction, indirectly gave me a kick in the right direction thank you!

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(3,977 Views)

I plan on using Labview for this (though, being very new to it - I don't know the difference).

In either case, I seem to have figured out that I can use the "REALICECMD.exe" (provided by microchip) and can create a batch file. Using the System Exec VI - I should be able to call out this batch file and program the PIC.

If this doesn't seem like the most intuitive thing to you, please let me know. Thanks for taking notice (in either case)!.

Alex

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(3,974 Views)

BenDAE - I'm developing this with the Labview Developer's Suite and plan on implementing it with Test Stand. Is translation from one to the other pretty seemless? From what I've been told, it seems like it's trivial.

Perhaps I'm wrong!

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(3,969 Views)

AlexOh,

You are correct. LabVIEW integrates seemlessly with TestStand. What do you plan to use TestStand for specifically? Is this LabVIEW program only a small piece of something larger?

Ben D.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
Message 7 of 8
(3,966 Views)

It's part of something a little larger.

The VI that I'll be incorporating into teststand currently:

1) Runs a checksum on a 4KB file

2) Writes the checksum to the 4KB file

3) Copies an 8Mb file to a "new" file

4) Writes the 4KB file to a specific 4KB block in the 8Mb "new" file

5) Programs the 8Mb "new" file to a serial flash device via the Total Phase Aardvark

6) Reads the contents of the serial flash and compiles it into an 8Mb "verify" file

7) Compares the "verify" file to the original 8Mb "new" file and returns a green LED if they are identical (serial flash program verification)

😎 Calls a batch file that instructs the Microchip REAL ICE to erase the PIC microcontroller memory, program the PIC, then verify the PIC's memory to the original firmware file

9) Labview reads out the output string and if the output string contains "Verify complete" at the end - a green LED is lit up (PIC program verification).

Attached is my Labview file. I'm only a good few weeks into getting to know labview, so I'm certain I'm doing many things "improperly". Any input, will be appreciated! Thank you!!

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(3,961 Views)