From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

User Manager Priviledge

Within TestStand's Sequence Editor, with the User Manager, I added a user and gave him the Operate::Grant All privilege.  I also have an Admin that requires a password.  When I run my OI, I'm wondering why (when I login as the Operator) in the Configure menu, the Adapters, Station Options, Search Directories are all shown as selectable items.  However, when selected, all the drop downs and or edit fields are either greyed out of inactive.  First of all, why would an operator be allowed to configure these types of items.  Second, in my application, I really don't want an operator to muck with such things - how do I either grey them all out or not show them at all?  As additional info, I'm working with the LabVIEW8 version of the TestStand Operator Interface - I'm trying to customize it in several areas.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(3,876 Views)

Hi mrbean,

Are you wanting to completely gray out the ‘Configure’ menu?  The operator is able to view the other menus under ‘Configure’, but they are not able to modify anything.  Everything in these menus are grayed out or unselectable. 

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(3,853 Views)
I don't want to completely grey out 'Configure', I just want to specify which options the user can configure based on his privilege.  Also, I want to add a couple of my own selections to the Configure menu.  Can I have this level of control over the Configure (and the other) menu?
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(3,846 Views)
mrbean -
The TestStand 3.5 and earlier sequence editors do not allow you to customize which menus are available or visible. The only options are the ones based on the user priviledges defined for each user. Typically for these types of customizations, customers create their own operator interface using the development environment of their choice and use the TestStand OI Controls to implement the bulk of how the OI displays sequence files and executions.  We hope to allow for more customization of the sequence editor in a future release.
Scott Richardson
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(3,826 Views)
Is there a way to determine what options are available per priviledge, other than creating a user at each priviledge level and seeing what menus are greyed out?
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(3,813 Views)
Hi,

The privileges available are the ones you see defined in the User Manager for a generic user eg administrator | developer | technician | operator.

Regards
Ray Farmer
Regards
Ray Farmer
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(3,810 Views)
I understand the privileges available are administrator | developer | technician | operator.  What I'm wondering is, other than creating four users and experimenting with each menu (which I'll end up doing anyway), is there any documentation that says "If you are a technician, the only settable options available to you from the Configure menu are 'station options...' and 'model options...' "
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(3,808 Views)

Hi,

In the TestStand 2 User Manual Chapter 12 Table 12-1. 

I had a quick look in the User Manual and the Reference Manual for TS3.x but couldn't find this table. But you can download TS 2.0 User Manual from the NI Website if you dont have it.

Regards

Ray Farmer

Regards
Ray Farmer
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(3,805 Views)

FYI,

The table is now located in the TestStand Help under TestStand Environment Reference Help > TestStand Menus and Windows > Windows > User Manger Window > Types View > User Data Type Subproperties.

Search for "User Data Type" with quotes and the first option will display the table.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(3,741 Views)