NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use networked Users.ini in deployed simple user interface

I'm using the  Simple LabVIEW UI that comes with TestStand 2014. I have customised it to my requirements, but have a small issue. I want to deploy the interface to numerous production PC's but cannot workout how to get the interface to use a networked Users.ini, at Login on those PC's. Does anyone know how to make the user interface use a networked Users.ini? I know that in TestStand 2014 you can use the menus Configure>Station Options>User Manager to tell it where to find a networked Users.ini. I don't know how to make the Simple LabVIEW UI do the same thing. Hopefully I've missed something obvious and will soon be felling rather stupid.

Thanks

Colin

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(4,374 Views)

Colin,

This setting is stored in TestExec.ini.  You can deploy this by following this link: http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/E5E4FEADEFE6023D862571590000C5CC

Here's another link:http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/370052N-01/tsdeploysystem/infotopics/includingcfgfiles/

TestExec.ini is just 1 of many cfg files for TestStand.  They all need to be in the same folder.  Generally the ProgramData\National Instruments\<TestStand>\Cfg folder.  The exception is Users.ini.  It is the only cfg file that can be in a different location (as you have discovered)

So I recommend pointing to the users.ini on your development machine and then adding TestExec.ini to your workspace.  Then you need ot put it in the Cfg directory on the deployment machine.  Be careful though because there are a lot of other settings stored in that file.

Hope this helps,

jigg
CTA, CLA
testeract.com
~Will work for kudos and/or BBQ~
Message 2 of 6
(4,339 Views)

Thanks for the tip about TestExec.ini. I would have been searching for a while before stumbling across it. The easiest way for me to get the functionality I want, is the include TestExec.ini in my deployment and paste the network location of the Users.ini into the TestExec.ini on the deployed machines.

Thanks again.

Colin

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(4,324 Views)

Colin,

You shouldn't need to paste anything if you deploy a TestExec.ini to the right location with the network location of the Users.ini already in it.

TestExec.ini always exists on a machine with TestStand.  If it doesn't then TestStand creates it when it starts.  It needs it in order to run.  So your deployment machines already have the file. 

The point I was trying to make was to deploy a file with the settings already in them. It will replace the existing one.  Then you don't have to configure anything on the deployment bench.

Hope this helps,

jigg
CTA, CLA
testeract.com
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(4,318 Views)

It wasn't installing TestExec.ini from my development machine. I ticked the 'Force File to Install' box and it worked perfectly. No pasting anything anywhwere.

Thanks,

Colin

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(4,311 Views)

Awesome.  Glad it worked.

jigg
CTA, CLA
testeract.com
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6