NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updating custom data types

I created a custom data typoe on a type palette, it is a container which corresponds to a LabVIEW cluster. This type I use in the step type definition. The custom data type is created automatically by hitting the "Create / Update custom data type"  button next to the VI pane, at specifying module. It works fine.

But later, the LabVIEW cluster gets a new element, and I want to update the custom data type in TestStand. I go to specify module, and I see "Apply Cluster Passing Changes" button. I click on it, TS asks whether I really want to do that, I click OK. Now I want to update my custom data type so that the new cluster element is reflected in the custom data type. I click on Update custom data type, then in the popup window I select Update an Existing Type, I select the type I want to update, then I get an error message: Operation Failed. Error code: -17500.

After that I click OK, then I get the next error: System Level Exeption. Error code: -17502

And the required changes are not made. My question is, how to update a custom data type automatically? Are there best practices for that?

I created a very simple example. In the TypePalette.ini there is one custom data type I created from the specify module pane form the VI_original.vi. I called the new data type "Cluster". It has a numeric and a string element. If somebody could tell me how to update this custom data type using the VI_new, where there is an additional boolean element in the culster, would be great!

Madottati

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,995 Views)

Hello Madottati,

i tried it with LV 2016 and TS 2016 and it worked.

I insert the VI as action step push the create/update custom data type button and create the custom data type. After this i insert the the new VI and pushed the button to update the data type. No error happend.  I have seen you are using TS 2014 have you the chance to test this on a different machine or with a newer version?

best regards
Alexander
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,949 Views)