From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update 700 Sequence Files

A couple years ago we created a template for all of our TestStand sequences which included the "Setup" and "Cleanup" using discrete subsequence calls and to simplify and add functionality I've created a new Master Initialize and Cleanup

OLD FORMAT:                                         NEW FORMAT:

Setup:                                         Setup:

Initialize Network                           Master Initialize

Initialize Database

Record Tester Information

(More exist here as well)

Main:                                           Main:

(Specific Test)                                (Specific Test)

Cleanup:                                      Cleanup:

Report Test Status                         Master Cleanup

Close Database

Close Network

End                                              End

Also, the original templates did NOT include the required Locals.ResultList variable (the author deleted this from all of the templates, and thus from all of the tests).  We've changed from a home grown XML reporting (problematic) to use the existing TestStand HTML reporting and this variable is required.

So I need to update all of the test sequences that we have to:

1. Replace the existing Startup steps with the new "Master Initialize".

2. Replace the existing Cleanup steps with the new "Master Cleanup".

3. Add the Locals.ResultList variable back into the scripts.

Problem is that I have nearly 700 test sequences to update with these 3 changes.

I have considered changing the first sequence in Setup to call the Master Init a and similar to the Cleanup to call the Master Cleanup and make all of the others basically null calls (exit immedately), but we may need these some other functions and I still need to add in the Locals.ResultList variable anyway.

SO the question is:

Is there an easier way to update these 700 sequences besides doing the necessary:

Delete Setup

Paste New Setup

Delete Cleanup

Paste New Cleanup

Paste Locals.ResultList variable

Mike

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,132 Views)

You can use a simple program to automate this for you. You will have to call the TestStand API to do these copy paste and delete work for you.

Are you using LabVIEW...? What is you exact requirement...? From your post what I understand is you have to delete few steps in the setup and cleanup and insert sequence call steps there. Is that correct...?

Thanks,

Sathish

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,113 Views)

Hello,

I want to do the same as you. Did you find the way to do it?

Thanks

Cyril

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,865 Views)

Use the TestStand API to programmtically modify the sequence files. See the help for the TestStand API for more details.

-Doug

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,847 Views)

I felt that the investment of time to write the script vs doing it manually wasn't worth it.  I opted to do it manually.

I did groups of about 20 files at a time, deleted those that I didn't need and copy/pasted the new ones.

You may be a better programmer than I am, and it might be worthwhile to try.

Mike

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,802 Views)