NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to save changes to the TestStand Configuration

I'm getting the message error writing to file c:\Program Files\National Instruments\TestStand 3.5\Cfg\TestExec.ini,
that is because I have no permissions to write to the Program Files folder nor any of its subfolders,

I tried changing the configuration directory on the Preferences page of the Station Options dialog to a different folder (C:\TestStand\Cfg for instance)and as soon as I restarts the TS application it always returns to the previous directory file I have no access to,
what am I missing?
thanks
vicente
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,795 Views)

Hi,

This sounds like a windows issue, you probably need to speak to your IT people to ensure you have write access to at least the TestStand folder.

Regards

Ray Farmer

Regards
Ray Farmer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,782 Views)
I would have to agree with Ray on this one.  Another thing you could check is if your folders are set to read only, but it doesn't really make sense that everything in your program files folder would be set to read only.
Pat P.
Software Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,771 Views)

Vicente -
When you change the value of the Configuration Directory on the Preferences tab of the Station Options, TestStand stores this value in the Registry under the following string key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\National Instruments\TestStand\3.5\CfgLocation. Do you have authority to write to the registry? If you do not, the registry value will not be written out. If you do not enter a valid directory path, TestStand will ignore the new value on startup.

Scott Richardson
Message 4 of 7
(3,769 Views)

Hi Scott,

Scott Richardson wrote:

Vicente -
When you change the value of the Configuration Directory on the Preferences tab of the Station Options, TestStand stores this value in the Registry under the following string key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\National Instruments\TestStand\3.5\CfgLocation. Do you have authority to write to the registry? If you do not, the registry value will not be written out. If you do not enter a valid directory path, TestStand will ignore the new value on startup.

Is the location the same for Teststand 3.1 ?

I can only find ...\TestStand\3.1\UserInfo .

thanks,

Gary.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,681 Views)

Whoops....sorry Scott, it's in the same place.

Sorry, it's Monday morning.

Gary.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,669 Views)

I noticed a curious behavior today with TestStand 2014 Beta (haven't tested other versions): when I change the CfgLocation from the "Station Options" dialog, it gets written to the usual registry value and works fine.

However I cannot change the registry key using regedit or reg - which is no surprise as I am starting all these programs without administrative rights on Windows 7 64bit.

THe curious thing is: how can TestStand change the key without adminstrative rights?

Regards

Peter

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,051 Views)