From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Teststand message popup in front of new VI thread

Hello Community,

Using Teststand 2016 32bit

Using Labview 2016 32bit

I have a GUI in Labview that calls a Teststand sequence file. The sequence file is running a batch of 10 controls to be tested. Upon running the sequence file, I call a VI as a new thread, TS-XX GUI, which shows the current status of the 10 controls being tested. The first message popup asking to enter a barcode doesn't become the active window. I always have to click on the message popup to make it active and have the cursor displayed in the text box. The message popups that follow after the first one are fine. How do I make the first message popup be the active window, so I don't have to click on it at start?

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,937 Views)

On the Text and Buttons tab in the Button Options section make the Active Control the Response String.

On the Layout tab under Dialog Options check the Make Modal button.

jigg
CTA, CLA
testeract.com
~Will work for kudos and/or BBQ~
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(3,905 Views)

The active control is the response string and the dialog option is set to make modal.

I still have to click on to the enter barcode dialog to get the cursor to show up inside the response string. It seems that my new thread, TS-XX GUI, is taking priority over the dialog box. The TS-XX GUI VI is set to floating, because I want the TS-XX GUI to still be visible when I click on the barcode dialog box.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(3,877 Views)

MechUnit,

Is the pop up window actually modal? To explain further, can you click on other windows before you actually act on the message pop up? 

The reason I ask this is that if the window is modal it may be more of a windows setting to make that window come to the front. If the window is not modal then it is most likely not being set properly in TestStand.

Applications Engineer

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(3,839 Views)

Yes, the window is set to modal and I can't click on other windows until I act on the message popup first. I still have to first click on the barcode message popup to make it active and have the cursor appear in the response string. Also, making the message popup modal causes my TS-XX GUI that is floating to move to the back where I can't see it. I would prefer for both the TS-XX GUI and message popup to be floating, so they can be viewed at the same time.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(3,833 Views)

I noticed when I highlight the two steps in Teststand, Call TS-XX GUI and Barcode 1, and run selected steps only it works with Barcode 1 as the active control and the cursor is shown in the response string. When I run the sequence file from my Main GUI, barcode 1 message popup isn't the active window. I will look more into my Main GUI as to what could be causing this behavior. Could the Main GUI itself take precedence over my TS-XX GUI and Barcode message popup being called from Teststand?

Any suggestions are welcome.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(3,827 Views)

I noticed after calling Barcode 1 Message Popup, there is a second in the next loop called Barcode 2. Does this Message Popup do the expected behavior of being the active window in front of TS-XX GUI? What differences are there between Barcode 1 and Barcode 2 other than making Barcode 1 modal?

Best,

Chris D. | Applications Engineer | National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(3,794 Views)

Seems it was a glitch. It is working now after deleting and recreating the barcode message box in TestStand, then rebuilding my Main GUI.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(3,781 Views)