NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Teststand 2014 Version Selector "Program Error"

Solved!
Go to solution

I have upgraded to TestStand 2014 from 2013. I suspect I removed TestStand 2013 using the NI uninstaller but hadn't selected TestStand 2014 using the version selector.

When I try and run the version selector as Administrator I get an error "Unable to determine the current TestStand Version". THe Version Selector then starts with hte "Current Active Version = N/A" and Launch sequence buttons are greyed out.

The select Version section all looks correct with both 32 and 64 bit paths showing correctly and the "2014 (14.0)" showing in the Installed Teststand drop down. When I click "Make Active" I get a error dialog that is titled "Attention" and says "Program Error".

Is there a way to fix this? I have installed 2014-64bit and then re-installed the 2014-32bit version but always the same.

I am on Win 8.0 and have Avast antivirus and firewall (which I have checked and the logs don't show that it is blocking anything related to this).

I could just try and install the 2013-32bit version and see if I can switch versions then and uninstall 2013 afterwards. Does this sound like a good idea?

Many thanks: David

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(6,707 Views)

I checked on my WIn 7 machine and it was having the same problem but at least 1 of the error messages gave me a little more info. It looks like there were a number of services not running that need to be and that could be due to Avast antivirus and file system shield.

I needed to start the NI TestStand Service and confirm an exception in the Avast popup. I also started a few other NI serves that were listed as automatic but not running (not sure if these were TestStand or LabVIEW ones). After doing that I was able to select the new version.

Going back to my Win 8 machine however I don't actually have the NI TestStand Service listed so I am thinking that Avast may have block some of the services from installing. Will try again with Avast file system shield turned off and see what happens.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(6,700 Views)

Unfortunately I spoke too soon on the WIn 7 machine. There is an issue with TestStand 2014

"This version was not found in the ini-file, do not know how to register it"

Falling back to TestStand 2013 works OK

On Win 8 machine even after disabling the File System Shield the TestStand Serice is not there. Still having issues

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(6,695 Views)

I think you might need to repair your installation of the version selector (or re-install it). TestStand 2014 does not use the ini file for version selecting (that is there only for older versions of teststand). I suspect you might have the 2013 version of the version selector installed. Perhaps Avast prevented the lastest version from installing. Also, you do not need to run the version selector as admin. Running it as a regular user should work fine.

Hope this helps,

-Doug

Message 4 of 8
(6,677 Views)

I had TestStand 2013 and 2014 installed. Now I am seeing the same problem after uninstalling TS 2013.

Thanks,
Chris Osborne
M.Eng Bioelectronics
Certified LabVIEW Developer
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(6,668 Views)

I think the version selector needs to be repaired, as Doug mentioned.

Regards,

Regards,

Kristen M

Automated Test Product Marketing Engineer
National Instruments
Message 6 of 8
(6,654 Views)

Thank you for the suggestion dug9000 & manoobies.

Looking at my options for repair of NI software under Control Pannel, Programs, Uninstall a program, National Instruments, Uninstall/Change, there is no listing for version selector so it seems that it should be part of the TestStand 2014 installs.

I will try and repair on the 32 or 64 bit versions without Avast deactivated and see what happens.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(6,642 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author dpnsw

I did a 1 hour deactivation of Avast and used the repair option. This got me the Teststand service installed and all is working again now.

Many thanks for the advice

Message 8 of 8
(6,626 Views)