From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Testexec process doesn't terminate

Rick,

Again, I think it's related to the state of the tester PC once I uninstalled Teststand/Labview. My sequence runs OK on my other testers.

As far as deploying a runtime version,
we need to develop on the test hardware. Therefore, we install our development system, debug and then uninstall. This has always caused problems as required components get removed too. At this point, repairing the installs doesn't work. Therefore, we're usually left with reformating and starting on a clean system.

We haven't been able to create a deployment which works using Teststand tools. We are using a highly customized process model and custom step types. These things have caused many issues with the build process which NI has not been able to resolve.

Not left with too many choices but to release with the development systems. We've had 3rd party NI integrators in trying to resolve these issues in the past with no luck either.

Bob
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 14
(1,229 Views)
Rick,

Maybe you could try the following:

a. Build a Teststand deployment on a tester containing the development tools using the Labview Full OI.
b. Uninstall Labview development and Teststand using windows remove/add programs.
c. Install the deployable Teststand system onto the PC which you just removed the development stuff.

At this point, the sequence ran, but then I got the Testexec hangup problem. I then tried re-installing/repairing the Labview/Teststand components but the same problem occured, even with the development versions. This is when I reformatted the drive and started from a clean install.
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 14
(1,229 Views)
Rick,

I think I found my problem. I looked through my code to see about the termination issue which you suggested could be causing my problem. I had a custom step type which I use to communicate with my thread using a datasocket connection. It appears to be a race condition when I send my thread a completion flag. It receives it, but the acknowledge back to my batchmodel step never gets received, therefore I think the step hangs in the postbatch loop.

I'm not sure why Teststand would continue if it was waiting in the postbatch loop seq. All the other Teststand windows close and the front panel even closes, so I'm not exactly sure what Teststand is doing at this point, but I've been able to run this sucessfully many times wi
thout a hang-up condition.

I guess it works in the development environment due to increased processing times and it only shows up when using the runtime version.

Thanks for pointing out the possibility of this.

Bob Wirth
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 14
(1,229 Views)
Hi All,

One of the projects, what we have deployed is also having the same kind of error. The execution runs fine and terminates properly most of the times. But it hangs occasionally. What I can guess is that the OI is hanging only when I click the "Run Test" button very fast as soon as the OI is loaded. We are using custom programmed OI. We are using LV 7.0 and Test Stand 3.0

When we press “Run Test”, it has to start a parallel thread which will send OI messages for OI update. But during the hanging condition, the parallel thread seems running but is not sending the OI messages and the Parallel thread doesn’t terminate at all/not sending that info to the OI. So the OI is hanging/ waiting for the parallel thread to complete. So I have to manually kill the running OI. I may not able to send the OI/ the parallel running code as it is quite big.

It is kind of frustrating that the OI hangs when we starts the test. I have noticed that the OI hangs mostly the first time, we run the OI after rebooting. Then the consecutive runs may hang. If it starts running properly for the first time itself, then it runs without any issues for the consecutive runs. (95 % of the time). Any suggestions are welcome.

Thank you,
Sas
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 14
(1,210 Views)