NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Testexec process doesn't terminate

The sequence I have runs normally under the development environment. I made a deployment of my teststand system and then I uninstalled my Teststand development environment. After doing this, my sequence runs correctly, however when I exit the Labview operator interface, the Testexec.exe process does not terminate. I then need to end the process manually with the windows task manager before I can rerun my sequence. This doesn't happen if I leave my development system intact on my tester. Any ideas??
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 14
(4,266 Views)
Hi bobw,

I had a similar problem a while back. It may or may not be related to your problem. See link for details.

http://exchange.ni.com/servlet/ProcessRequest?RHIVEID=101&RPAGEID=135&HOID=5065000000080000008AB20000&UCATEGORY_0=_8_&UCATEGORY_S=0&USEARCHCONTEXT_QUESTION_0=Testexec+process+doesn%27t+terminate&USEARCHCONTEXT_QUESTION_S=0

Regards
Ray Farmer
Regards
Ray Farmer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 14
(4,265 Views)
Hi Ray,

I've narrowed the problem down to a Labview VI I call from my custom batch process model. If I skip calling this thread, the testexec terminates correctly. If I call this thread from my batch process model, the testexec will hang. When my post batch loop executes, I terminate the process, so it doesn't appear that this is left running. The operator interfaces closes, the window goes away. But the process is still running in background. I am running Teststand 3.0. I don't have any popup message dialogs in my process model.

This all started happening after I uninstalled Teststand and installed my deployed version using
the runtime engine.

Bob Wirth
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 14
(4,265 Views)
Hi Bob,

Can you explain what this VI is going? or even post it.

Regards
Ray Farmer
Regards
Ray Farmer
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 14
(4,266 Views)
I replaced my vi with a simple one to see what is happening (a while loop with a stop button). When I select Test UUT's, my simple vi starts up. I immediately terminate it and the batch s/n dialog pops up. I select Stop and all my socket executions are listed as completed, but the sequence execution is still listed as running. At this point I need to abort it. Then when I termnate the OI, I get the hang condition. Very frustrating.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 14
(4,266 Views)
Hello Bob,

I believe that the problem may be caused by closing the LabVIEW VI, which is being called by your sequence file, without first stopping that VI. If the VI is closed before it is stopped, the VI is still executing even though it may be hidden. Then the operator interface may seem to hang because it is waiting for this VI, which is now hidden, to finish executing before it can terminate the sequence file.

If stopping your VI before you close it does not solve your problem, please attach a simple example to this site which demonstrate the behavior you are seeing. I would then like to try to replicate your issue.

I hope this information is helpful for you.

Regards,
Kevin Leonard
Applications Engineer
National
Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 14
(4,266 Views)
Hi Kevin,

I'm using a simple VI which I do stop. But it only seems to happen when selecting the Labview runtime under configuring adapters. Sending an example probably wont help as this all works on my development system, so it seems to be specific to this one tester.

I've had to re-image my tester and do a clean install of the Labview and Teststand full development systems. My sequence and VI's now work correctly. However, I'm afraid of removing the development environments since this is what started all this mess in the first place.

I'm trying to create a deployment which I can install on my production testers which does not have the NI development systems. We haven't been able to achieve this without these sorts of p
roblems. Maybe there is someone at NI who could provide some info about how to put together a runtime system.

Bob Wirth
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 14
(4,266 Views)
Bobw,

Which LabVIEW OI are you using? The 3.0 Full OI, 3.0 Simple, 2.01 Full or 2.01 Simple? Also, if you post a simple sequence (& process model) that reproduces the hang then I will do some debugging and see if I can find out what is causing the problem.

-Rick Francis
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 14
(4,266 Views)
Hi Rick,

I'm using 3.0 Full OI. I think that this problem was related to me uninstalling the development parts of Labview and Teststand. It broke after I did this. Even re-installing the development tools didn't fix it.

Since then, I've re-imaged my tester and re-installed both Labview and Teststand on a clean system and everything is working.

I'm back in business at the moment.

Seems like a larger problem with NI's deployment/installation tools.

Thanks - Bob Wirth
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 14
(4,266 Views)
Bob,

I am glad to hear your system is working. I would still like to understand what was happening in more detail, but I really need a sequence that demonstrates the problem. Could you post one?

We didn't envision people installing the development systems and then uninstall them. I can think of several potential problems that could cause.

The typical deployment scenario we expect is:

There is a development system with the development versions of the software where tests are developed. The deployment utility creates an installer on the development system that contains the test system, the TestStand engine, OI etc. That installer is run on a clean system (i.e. no TestStand and no LabVIEW) that will run the tests.

-Rick Francis
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 14
(4,266 Views)