NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TestStand warning: You must specify values for required parameters

I am new to TestStand and LabView. I am trying to call a VI module from TestStand. When I specify the module, and edit the LabView VI call, I set values for the input controls that I want to use for the call, the other inputs I left blank, . . . but when I click the [OK] button to save/close the module call I get a TestStand Warning:
Syntax Error in value for parameter ParameterName:
You must specify values for required parameters.
This value will cause a run-time error.

If I set a value for ParameterName, I get another warning for ParameterName2, and I assume this would continue until I specified a value for every input.

I checked the VI, and the inputs are all set to the default value of "Recommended". Why does TestStand insist that the values are "required"
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,069 Views)
This behavior differs between TestStand 3.0 and TestStand 3.1. The description you are giving appears to be the 3.0 behavior.

TestStand 3.0 treats the three LabVIEW parameter types differently.

Optional - Default value is checked by default, so the default value is used unless explicitly changed by the user.

Recommended- Default value is unchecked by default. A user must either enter a value, or check the "Default" checkbox. (This is what I think you wish to do).

Required- Default cannot be checked. A user has no choice except to enter a value.

In TestStand 3.1, we have changed the behavior to be more consistent with LabVIEW. Optional and Recommended parameters are treated exactly the same (like the optional type described above). I have attached a VI that has a parameter of each of the types.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,040 Views)
Hello,

Within the Edit LabVIEW VI dialog box that you get to by choosing "Specify Module", there should be a box that you can check in a column labeled "Default". If you do not check this, TestStand assumes that you want to pass in a parameter to the VI and you must enter something. If you check it, TestStand will not try to pass any data in and the VI will use its default value.

Regards,

Aaron B.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,033 Views)