From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TestStand reference in custom OPUI only valid for special version?

Hello,

i created a custom OPUI with C# that contains a reference to the installed TestStand 2013. Everything works fine.

Now i tried to execute the compiled program on another pc that has only TestStand 2010 - not working any more.

Do i have to compile a special OPUI for each TestStand-version? Or is there a trick to avoid this?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(4,178 Views)

Because TestStand is built on ActiveX components I'm afraid you have to do one for each version.  You also have to use the version selector to switch between versions.

http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/370052N-01/tsref/infotopics/versionselector/

Generally when you deploy a TestStand system you deploy to the same version of engine.  I cannot see a situation where you would deploy from 2013 to 2010.  That just doesn't make sense.  It's like trying to run a 4.0 .net app with the 3.0 framework.

Regards,

jigg
CTA, CLA
testeract.com
~Will work for kudos and/or BBQ~
Message 2 of 8
(4,166 Views)

As a side note:

When you purchase a TestStand deployment license that license is good for any version of TestStand, ever.  So licensing should not be an issue.

jigg
CTA, CLA
testeract.com
Message 3 of 8
(4,165 Views)

Situation is that this OPUI should be sold to different customers where i dont know their TS-version.

So the idea was to create only OPUI that can handle all versions. (Or that contain references to all versions and decide while loading what reference to use.)

This is working with Keysights Testexec SL. They have one API that is working with all versions.

VersionSelector:

Can i also install two versions of TestStand 2014 at the same time, one with 32bit and another with 64bit?

Licence:

Can i install all TestStand versions on one PC at the same time also when i only have one licence fpr TS2014? Is this covered by the licence?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(4,160 Views)

VersionSelector:

The answer is here: http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/370052N-01/tsfundamentals/infotopics/64bitteststand/

License:

TestStand licenses are always backwards compatible.  In the case of development licenses you would need the latest one to run TS2014. (i.e. a TestStand 2010 dev license will not work for 2014, but a 2014 license will work for 2010).  However, for deployment licenses they will work for any version of TestStand.  You will need to activate to the newer version through ni.com/activate but it will work once you apply the new code with the old serial number.

Hope this helps,

jigg
CTA, CLA
testeract.com
Message 5 of 8
(4,154 Views)

So to speak to the different version for the same UI.  You could compile to different versions of TestStand then have a launcher that checks to see which is the active TS version on the machine.  Then it will launch the exe for the correct version.

Just out of curiosity I have 2 machines here.  One with 2014 and one with 2010.  Both 32 bit version.  I took the 2014 UI and opened it on the 2010 machine.  No go.  Looking for the App Manager with the correct version.  I took the 2010 UI and ran it on the 2014 machine.  It complains that LV 8.6 RTE is missing.  I install LV 8.6 RTE and the 2010 UI works fine on 2014 machine.

Hope this helps,

jigg
CTA, CLA
testeract.com
Message 6 of 8
(4,150 Views)

Do you have a C#-UI or a Labview-UI?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(4,133 Views)

I tested with the LabVIEW UI.  I would expect the same results from the C# UI except that I wouldn't get the LV 8.6 RTE Error.

jigg
CTA, CLA
testeract.com
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(4,123 Views)