NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TestStand hangs at a custom step type

I have run into a strange problem that I see on only one among several PC's that share the same custom step types and custom process model. While the sequence is executing, it stops at a particular step using the custom step type and TestStand appears to hang. However, if I just click on the step, it continues to execute. Also noticed that any sort of user activity (like clicking on another application running on the PC) also lets it continue.  I was seeing this problem on TestStand 3.1 and have now upgraded to TestStand 3.5 and the problem still remains. Any hints on how I should go about trying to debug this problem?

Thanks.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,114 Views)

Hi,

What is this your custom step doing? Is it always the same step?

Is it possible to run in a debug mode so that if it stop you could pause an see where in your code you are. If thats not possible, maybe you add some well placed text messages that aresent to a file or standard io window to give an indication where in the code you are.

Are you sure you are running the same code on this machice as the other. Scan for all occurances of dll's etc to ensure you are not using a debug version. If you are not sure, uninstall your code, executables, dlls and delete any files/folders that are haven't been removed by the uninstall process. Then start again from a know build.

Hope this helps

Regards

Ray Farmer 

Regards
Ray Farmer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,110 Views)
Hi Ray,

The custom step type calls a labview code module to configure a power supply.

In the debug mode I found that the step type pauses at an invoke Method node:

NotifyStartOfModalDialogEx (method for the TestStand Engine object)

I've now found that with the upgrade to TS 3.5, it pauses here for about a minute and then continues. With 3.1, it would pause for as much as 15 minutes if a user did not perform a mouse click.

This 1 minute delay is tolerable but I am stil curious why it happens - as I said earlier, it is specific to only this one PC.

Thanks.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,106 Views)

Hi daarya,

curious

Is the front panel meant to be displayed, other wise way do you need "NotifyStartOfModalDialogEx" method?

Is they an EndOfModalDialogEx method being used as well?

Regards

Ray Farmer

Regards
Ray Farmer
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,102 Views)
Daarya,

You should only use the NotifyStartOfModalDialogEx if you are running a step that requires user input (shows the front panel).  If the VI you are using does require a modal dialog method, then you should use Start Modal Dialog.vi and End Modal Dialog.vi instead of NotifyStartOfModalDialogEx and NotifyEndOfModalDialog.  I recommend looking at the Help page for NotifyStartOfModalDialogEx for more information.

Regards,

Tyler T
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,089 Views)