From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TestStand deployment utility crashes

Hi,

Trying to deploy a dummy test with the basics that will be used in production.  It includes (all LabView) database access, report generation, DAQ control & GPIB IF and steps to exercise all to ensure it is working properly.  In the editor, sequence runs fine, hits the database table with data, generates the test report and all that but...problem is when I go thru the deployment steps and use the deployment utility it crashes.  Fast forward thru some debugging and head banging and I get to the root problem.  I created a report class in LabView to handle the report tasks.  The class control contains a class object reference to the actual report that is being generated.  This reference is created using the New Report.vi that comes with LabView.  Throughout the sequence I populate the report with the data I collect and print it as a pdf at the end.  All this works great in the Dev environment for TestStand.

So now to the problem... when this report object is included in the class object it causes the deployment utility to error out with the following info from the log...

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Starting Analysis
Processing Workspace...
Workspace Processed
Finished Analysis
Building...
3:02 PM
LabVIEW Version: 10.0f2 (2010) (32-bit) English
Internal error code -2147023170 Processing VIs...
The remote procedure call failed.
 in Dynamically Call Method in LLB - TestStand.vi:3->Dynamically Call Update Paths in Projects - TestStand.vi->Update LabVIEW Project Links - TestStand.vi->Package VIs - TestStand.vi->Build Create Image - TestStand.vi->Build - TestStand.vi->Distribution Wizard GUI - TestStand.vi->Deployment Utility Splash Screen  - TestStand.vi
An installer was not created due to an error
The build is finished
3:06 PM
Aborted

I have built a test sequence, LV project with a class object that has only 1 thing... the reference I mentioned above.  With this config it still errors out.  Next I deleted that object and put in class reference used in another part of the project and it completes the build as expected.  I used the TestStand Workspace method in the deployment utility.

Any ideas?  (hope that is enough info...)

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 22
(4,840 Views)

steve05ram360,

The New Report VI, which is part of the Report Generation Toolkit, uses its own set of classes. Does this VI and all its support VIs get included in the deployment (the same thing for your own report class)? What is build status right when the build fails?

Humphrey H.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 22
(4,811 Views)

I dont believe it did, I will re-try the build and ensure the class is library (?) is included and post up results.

The text I posted was all the information that was given to me other than the disappointing window that says the build failed...

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 22
(4,806 Views)

Could you send us the files to reproduce the problem?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 22
(4,803 Views)

OK, I included the folder with the report VI's in it and I get the same result.  First build below is without the class object on the diagram,

2nd is with it.  I tried a couple of things including adding the New Report VI to the diagram, same result.

Starting Analysis
Processing Workspace...
Workspace Processed
Finished Analysis
Building...
1:49 PM
Making an installer, please wait...
Adding files to installer
Validating...
Copying files...
Scanning files...
Updating files...
Build complete successfully.
Done adding files
Preparing to build deployment
Copying products from distributions
Building deployment
Copying setup files
Setting merged database information
Setting product information
Setting developer part information
Starting final build
Validating...
Copying files...
Scanning files...
Updating files...
Creating merged database...
Creating installer files...
Build complete successfully.
Copying additional setup files
Compressing installer files
Done building deployment
The installer is finished
Loading product deployment information
The build is finished
1:52 PM
---------------------------------------
Warning: The installer does not include the following LabVIEW Run-Time Engine(s) required to execute VIs:
This Installer includes VIs compiled with LabVIEW 10.0.
Starting Analysis
Processing Workspace...
Workspace Processed
Finished Analysis
Building...
1:53 PM
Internal error code -2147023170 Processing VIs...
The remote procedure call failed.
 in Dynamically Call Method in LLB - TestStand.vi:3->Dynamically Call Update Paths in Projects - TestStand.vi->Update LabVIEW Project Links - TestStand.vi->Package VIs - TestStand.vi->Build Create Image - TestStand.vi->Build - TestStand.vi->Distribution Wizard GUI - TestStand.vi->Deployment Utility Splash Screen  - TestStand.vi
An installer was not created due to an error
The build is finished
1:55 PM
Aborted

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 22
(4,802 Views)

I think it is all there... i created a new vi & simplified it as much as possible.  I just ran this version & still fails.  This does not include the report gen files... I am running LV 2010 10.0 F2

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 22
(4,800 Views)

From what I can tell in the log, the Deployment Utility is attempting to call a LabVIEW file, but for some reason we cannot communicate with the instance of LabVIEW we were using to create the build. I am not entirely sure why it is working correctly when you don't have the class object in the library, could you provide us with a set of files that reproduces the problem so we can investigate further?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 22
(4,799 Views)

Thanks for the files, what version of TestStand are you using?

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 22
(4,797 Views)

LV 2010 as noted in the previous post Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 22
(4,795 Views)

whoops... sorry, teststand 2012 sp1....

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 22
(4,794 Views)