cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TestStand Training Issues

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello All,

I have been using LabView for a couple of years now and recently took a job where they use TestStand more. I downloaded the TestStand 1 self-paced instructions and exercises but I am having some issues.

In the exercise manual, it runs the students through setting up some simulated CD tests. Part of this is simulating physical (visual) characteristics of the CD under test. This uses modules from NI Vision, which my company does not currently have licensed. As such, I encountered errors at runtime because files such as IMAQ Init.vi are missing from my developer environment. I downloaed the NI VAS driver package, assuming thse modules would be located within it and I could use the evaluation period to get through this TestStand training. However, during the VAS driver installation, I am getting a message that .NET framework 4.6.1 is required to install this product. When selecting yes to install the .NET framework, I am encountering another issue where the installation is blocked because of a missing windows update file KB2919355. Following the links to Microsoft returns a page cannot be found message, and I am unsure if I would even be able to install this on my work computer anyway.

Can anyone help me get the evaluation version of NI VAS installed, or point me to some TestStand training exercises that do not require modules from NI VAS?

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 14
(5,549 Views)

Hi Stevo,

To my understanding, you shouldn't need IMAQ for any of the examples in the self-paced TestStand training; Which lesson/module are you running that requires this add-on?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 14
(5,499 Views)

Hello Daniella,

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I accessed the online training at the following link:

https://ni.learn.com/learncenter.asp?sessionid=3-48F430EA-8BF1-4EC0-926A-23BB22202C2C&id=178409

I used the "Click here to download the TestStand 1: Test Development Exercises." link to download the course material. The file name that was downloaded is 2012_TestStand_1_Exercises

teststand.JPG

The exercise in question is the CD Test exercise that simulates running a CD through a series of tests, including checking some physical/visual characteristics of the CD using NI Vision. Upon running the test sequence, I receive the following error:

teststanderror.JPG

Please note that IMAQ Init.vi is the file that is missing. When I search within LabView for IMAQ, a number of results come up, but sadly IMAQ Init.vi is not among the results.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 14
(5,457 Views)

Hmmm, I posted a reply explaining the issue further, and my reply seems to have disappeared.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 14
(5,469 Views)

Second try on explaining the issue further.

I accessed the online training at https://ni.learn.com/learncenter.asp

teststand.JPG

I downloaded the file at the highlighted link. File name is 2012_TestStand_1_Exercises.zip

The exercise in question is the one dealing with CD Test.seq, where a user simulates running CD's through a series of tests, including some physical characteristics. It seems this training module requires the use of NI Vision for some of the Labview modules required in TestStand. In particular, I get a message that IMAQ Init.vi is missing in the error dialog at run-time. Error screenshot inserted below.

teststanderror.JPG

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 14
(5,457 Views)

Hi Danni,

I think my replies were flagged by the spam detection. I have contacted a moderator to see if they can get the replies out of quarantine and post them.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 14
(5,460 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author StevoP80

Hi StevoP80,

We have actually updated the TestStand course to remove this dependency, among many other improvements, which is likely what Daniella  is referring to.  However the process of recording the self paced version for the new course is still in progress.  Unfortunately, the exercises for the current online course do depend on the vision and IMAQ drivers.  If you'd like to take the new course, you can sign up for a virtual course (online but with a live instructor) to access the newer materials.

Al B.
Staff Software Engineer - TestStand
CTA/CLD
Message 7 of 14
(5,447 Views)

@Al.B wrote:

Hi StevoP80,

We have actually updated the TestStand course to remove this dependency, among many other improvements, which is likely what Daniella  is referring to.  However the process of recording the self paced version for the new course is still in progress.  Unfortunately, the exercises for the current online course do depend on the vision and IMAQ drivers.  If you'd like to take the new course, you can sign up for a virtual course (online but with a live instructor) to access the newer materials.

Thank you for the reply! I had wondered if something like this was the case. After digging around some more for information on included vi's with Vision, it looked like IMAQ Init.vi was included with older versions of the software, but maybe not with newer versions. 

I will look into these other options. Thanks again!

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 14
(5,426 Views)

When you go to the Functions palette, expand Vision and Motion and then NI-IMAQ. Do you see an Initialize function?

NI-IMAQ Palette.png

That VI should be made available when you install the NI Vision Acquisition Software drivers.

Reference Help.png

Scott Romine
Course Development Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 14
(5,402 Views)

Hi Scott,

What version are you using? As you can see in the screenshot below, my pallette is laid out a bit differently, with my IMAQ vi's being a couple of layers deeper. However, there is no IMAQ Init.vi anywhere. Using the search function returns nothing with that name anywhere in the developer environment. 

As was stated in my accepted solution, it would appear my version of Vision is newer than what the currently available online self-paced courses support, and NI is updating the TestStand courses to remove the dependancy of these files.

imaq.JPG

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 14
(5,400 Views)