From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TestStand Sequence cannot be launched from LabVIEW

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi everyone,

I am grappling with an issue of a application, where TestStand (2014 32 bit) and a sequence of it is being called by my GUI which is programmed in LabVIEW (2015 32 bit). Each time TestStand is supposed to be launched and the specified sequence is to be loaded and executed, TestStand just does not start and it shows no reaction. I tried every idea I could think of, such as uninstalling and installing LabVIEW and TestStand completely, and even installing TestStand 2016 in addition to 2014 as well, to see if the issue still persists. Unfortunately, none of these ideas have worked. Has anyone here got the similar experience and maybe a solution? Thanks for your help!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,259 Views)

When I see this happen in my interface, there's usually something wrong with the sequence.  For example, a file path for one of the steps is incorrect or TestStand can't load the step because there was a change to the connector pane on a VI.

I have also seen this happen when LabVIEW VIs load just fine in the development environment but run into a problem when using the LabVIEW run time engine.  In my specific case, the cause is usually related to a SequenceContext control requiring a resave on a VI.  So I (and my team) will switch LabVIEW adapters in TestStand to look for any issues with VIs loading before trying to run in the interface.

Pulido Technologies LLC

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,217 Views)

Each time TestStand is supposed to be launched and the specified sequence is to be loaded and executed, TestStand just does not start and it shows no reaction. 

By above, do you mean that TestStand never runs the default login/logout popup (or whatever you have in your front-end callback) - or do you get past that?

If you're never getting past the front-end callback, I suspect that you're either not getting a valid reference to the engine - or the application manager isn't starting successfully. I'd start by setting breakpoints in your code on ApplicationMgr.GetEngine and ApplicationMgr.Start and see if they throw an error when you step over them.

Hope this helps!

Trent

https://www.linkedin.com/in/trentweaver
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,204 Views)

Hi, thanks for your reply. Yes, the situation is that when I try to start a single pass execution of my TestStand sequence in LabVIEW by getting the object of the command "CommandKind_ExecutionEntryPoints_Set" and executing the method "Execute", TestStand shows no reaction whereas normally a pop up window appears showing something like analyzing modules and so on. In the step before that, however, where I open the sequence file using the methode "OpenSequenceFile" and subsequently read the version of the sequence, it is able to return the version correctly. I even tried to replace this step with the command "CommandKind_OpenSequenceFile", but during the execution, no file dialog popped up.

I tried the example "TestStand UI with Native Controls" that comes with TestStand (see http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/370052N-01/tsexamples/infotopics/tsui_nativecontrols_lv/) and has a very similar structure as the application I am dealing with. It was able to start TestStand and execute the sequence file properly. I tried to compare every step until the execution of sequence between the applications and was not able to figure out major differences. But due to my limited knowledge on TestStand and its integration in LabVIEW, I might have missed some important details.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,181 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author wohltemperiert

After comparing the initialisation steps between my application and the NI example and disabling the steps one by one, I finally found the culprit of my issue which is the attempt to inhibit the login dialogue at the beginning of the application by setting of the property "LogOnStart" of "IApplicationManager" to false. This, obviously, does not match the corresponding setting of the TestStand development environment on my PC and results in TestStand not responding on execution of sequence and so on. This issue did not happen on other PCs, as we deployed the application with only TestStand runtime engine.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,172 Views)