NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TestStand Operator Interface keeps locking up on me after a successful thread test

I have an application that now locks up on me when it executes. It is a mutiple position test set, that uses a batch model that now hangs after a position completes its execution, but only seems to happen with the executable. I can't call up the sequence because as you can see in the picture I have attached the entire operator interface is 'not responding'. Please note in the second attachment the 2nd instance of the application (HFTR60-2)???

Has anyone seen this type of behavior before??

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(4,579 Views)

I'd be curious to see what Test Stand or LabVIEW is doing when this locks up.  My best guess is something in one of your VI's is causing this crash.  Is this not reproducible in the Test Stand environment?

Jesse S.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(4,557 Views)

Well, when I run it from the source code this does not happen, however I get a second instance of LabVIEW that shows up in the application window, one shows Running, the other shows Not Responding, and I end up having to kill all the LabVIEW processes just to be able to run again.

I'm finding no places where LabVIEW is crashing?? In the TestStand environment, using development LabVIEW, this does not occur. I've followed the process model through step by step, all the way to the end of the execution, with no LabVIEW issues anywhere, but as soon as I try to close completed executions, I loose communication with the automation server, and at that point I am stuck until I kill the LabVIEW processes.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(4,552 Views)

You might try to see what the test uuts sequence is doing. If you turn on tracing into process model code you should be able to see what step it's hung on. You might need to make sure it's the active execution before the hang happens so that you can see the trace.

-Doug

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(4,530 Views)

I've already traced the execution through the entire process model, everything "appears" to be executing just fine. The thread finishes executing and produces the datasheet, and eveything is fine. As soon as I try to close the completed executions, I somehow lose communication with the automation server.

I've now tried to uninstall, and re-install the entire NI Developer Suite package several times, and now i can't even get TestStand to launch (I've included the screen shots below).

This is not the first time I have had installation issues with TestStand, but this the first time I've not been able to fix them by uninstalling the NI software and purging the registry???

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(4,528 Views)

By purging the registry, what did you delete?  Generally deleting things in the registry is not a good idea and can result in deleting operating specific keys.  This problem could have occurred through a registry key being deleted and currently not in your registry.  If this is the case, you may need to reinstall your OS to solve the issue.

Jesse S.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(4,512 Views)

Well, I would argue that the problem existed before I actually purged the registry, because it did. I reinstalled the NI software at least 3 times before I even touched the registry. But, to answer your question, I simply deleted everything that had a "National Instruments" associated with it.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(4,510 Views)

You might try a repair of the teststand installer (also run version selector afterwards). Also it's unlikely your original problem was due to an installation issue. If you have more than one machine you could verify that by setting everything up on a second machine and seeing if you get the same error.

-Doug

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(4,484 Views)