NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TestStand - Multithread? Who has done it?

Hi All:

I am fishing for some real world info. My company is deciding on using TestStand as a delevopment/Test platform. The Multithread capability is wonderful but I am in search of info regarding the real world use of this.

Any Info would be greatly appreciated.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,972 Views)
Hi Craig,

For a real-life application using multithreading in TestStand, there is a very good article in the December 2000 issue of Test& Measurement World.
The title is "Asynchronous Testing Increases Throughput." Check it out at:
http://www.tmworld.com/articles/2000/12_asynch.htm

Also, there is an applicatino note (PDF) on NI's web site that talks about this in more detail, and it even has some demos you can run using TestSTand.
Here is the link:
http://digital.ni.com/appnotes.nsf/f60d3bcb9e8e752185256404007206cb/6d88fdb995c48fed8625673f005e0504?OpenDocument

Regards,

Azucena
Message 2 of 8
(3,972 Views)
I have done multithreading in TestStand; some applications of this are:

- Parallel Testing: testing more than one circuit pack at a time; for two packs we would have two threads, one for cp1 and the other cp2. By using synchronization mechanisms such as semaphores or mutexes, you can ensure that the two test sequences proceed in a safe manner (e.g., without getting deadlocked on trying to control an instrument at the same time). Hence, you could conceivably double or triple your throughput.

This should be enough to get you thinking; I am in the process of writing a TestStand book, to be published by Prentice-Hall; I touch on multithreaded capabilities and parallel testing.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(3,971 Views)
Anyone has up to date reference to multithreading? What I want to do is have 2 telnet connections open for a while and do other configurations at the same time. I would like to use the most optimal configuration for this type of application.

Thanks

Louis
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(3,901 Views)

@Craig Heer wrote:
Hi All:

I am fishing for some real world info. My company is deciding on using TestStand as a delevopment/Test platform. The Multithread capability is wonderful but I am in search of info regarding the real world use of this.

Any Info would be greatly appreciated.

Hi,

we are currently in development of a multithread test application.

Burn and Functional Test of power supplies.
8 or 16 burn / test positions all controlled by 1 rack of IEEE488 equipment.

Each position has relays that switch fixed loads or bus to instruments, and a USB <-> I2C and Digital IO board.
We communicate with the UUT via USB
We communicate to theinstruments via 488
We control the burn position hardware vis USB

So far so good, we have 1 position in debug, getting ready to build 8 more.

Theoretically, we can mis and match these burn positions among different models of powe supplies.
We'll know in a month or so if it all works. So far we are impressed with teststand:
Don't forget training! you definitely need beginner and advanced teststand training to do this!

Jeff
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(3,885 Views)
Is there any doc you recommand reading for the multithreading?

Thanks,

Louis
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(3,876 Views)
Hi Louis,

There is quite a bit of information about multithreading on our website. A couple that I'd recommened are
"General Information on Multithreading for C Programmers" located at
http://ae.natinst.com/operations/ae/public.nsf/web/searchinternal/6eccbaa87476eb22862568950071ccd6

There is a great article I found on Microsoft's website talking indepth about everything you need to know about multithreading. The article is called "Multithreading for Rookies" located at
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dndllpro/html/msdn_threads.asp

I hope this helps

SijinK
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(3,835 Views)
So far,
I do not have any reading recommendations, except the examples and help
for cvi, teststand, and labview.

You need training.

We had 2 guys take beginner and advanced teststand training.
You need this.

We are all intermediate CVI programmers.
There has been a steep learning curve with teststand.
We all know nothing about labview.

We are over the hump on the learning curve now.
Took 3 months, and lots of visits from our local NI engineer.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(3,817 Views)