cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TestStand Memory Limit

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi jcollins,

The freeware program you found is likely enabling the /LARGEADDRESSAWARE (LAA) option to increase the memory available to the Sequence Editor (SeqEdit.exe) process (TestStand does not enable this option by default). Enabling this option allows a process to use up to 4 GB of memory on 64-bit operating systems. What version of TestStand are you using? We've done limited testing with the LAA option enabled and would like you to be aware of the following issues:

- If the Sequence Editor process loads the LabVIEW 7.1.1 or 8.2.1 Run-Time Engine, you may experience a hang when exiting the application.
- TestStand 4.2.1 and previous only: The TestStand .NET Adapter fails to obtain a reference for .NET objects with addresses above the 2 GB application memory space.

Please note that enabling this option is not fully tested and is not officially supported. Outside of the two issues mentioned above, you are likely okay to move forward. If you want to be on the safe side and ensure that the only thing changed in the patched version of the executable is the LAA option, you can use Visual Studio's EditBin.exe to specifically enable the LAA option only, through the command line.  If you do run into any issues, please let us know so that we can document them as known issues.

On another note, although setting the LAA option may help you move forward now, I encourage you to investigate why the test application requires extra memory usage and whether or not the large memory usage is desired/by design. Is your test application processing any video/image data? That is a common case where high memory usage can be unavoidable.  However, other causes for high memory use, such as large report files in memory, can potentially be avoided.

Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help!

Al B.
Staff Software Engineer - TestStand
CTA/CLD
Message 11 of 15
(1,303 Views)

Hi,

I wish to try the editbin.exe option to enable teststand to use a larger address space (same problem as thread starter) instead of the freeware utility, but I do not see this editbin.exe command installed on my system (win7 x64).  There's lots of info on how to use the command on microsofts site, but nowhere to download.  Do you know a reliable place to download this utility? 

Thanks

David J.

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 15
(1,277 Views)

It comes with visual studio. If you launch the visual studio command prompt from the start menu shortcut, editbin should be in your command path. I think link.exe can also be used to modify the bit.

-Doug

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 15
(1,275 Views)

I don't have visual studio.  Is this the only way to get it?  Isn't it just a compiled .exe?

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 15
(1,271 Views)

I'm not sure, but I think Microsoft has a free version of visual studio called Visual Studio Express which might have it.

-Doug

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 15
(1,267 Views)