cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TestStand Expressions....how to create

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

I am relatively new to TestStand. I am having difficulty in understanding the complex expressions written in the sequences. How can I learn about writing expressions in TestStand. Is there any manual or pdf document available on the net that I could use for learning how to write expressions.

Thanks in Advance

LabVIEWan

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(6,042 Views)
Solution
Accepted by Flamboyant

There is enough info available in HELP file of teststand.............just go through that Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(6,040 Views)

Hi,

I have the same problem.... Why do we have to search through all of help to get an answer. It seems there should be some document that goes over typical expressions... I took the class hoping to learn just that and they barely mention it. Seems to be a general lack of documentation on this subject. JMHO.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(5,605 Views)

The problem is which expressions are typical expressions? There is quite a lot you can do in an expression. Is there a particular kind of expression you are seeing repeatedly and having trouble understanding? If you look in the expression browse dialog, you will find help on the second tab for all sorts of functions and operators which should help explain what just about any expression is doing.

-Doug

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(5,576 Views)

All,

I'm confused. I clicked on help and just typed in "expression". Low and behold a select topic came up called......."expressions". It gave definitions and an example. In addition under "See Also" there was...................."Expressions(Example)". Click on that and it walks you through developing your own (with about a handful of fully written out expressions for even more examples). On that page there is even an example sequence to click on which demonstrates..........."Example Expressions". This was a 120 second elementary search. (This post will be taking longer).

Many of us if not most of us, have put in the man hours to learn TS and its environment. So when I see "Why do we have to search through all of help to get an answer" .....I really got nothing for that, don't have any idea what to say to that. But here's 2 thoughts.

1. If you're searching "ALL" of help for one topic, then I would recommend on learning how to use a help file before taking on this even bigger challenge

2. Why?....Why? because that's what it's there for, to help you. Stop going around the designed process/system for a quick "I hope I find something I can copy and paste and just works". By the time you try forums and personal web pages, and failed attempts at other portals, guess what you could of taught yourself by now.

Don't get me wrong forums are an absolute blessing and National Instruments are my favorite. But when I see "Why do we have to search through help to get an answer".

I don't know, maybe I'm just amped up on Red Bull at work, maybe I'm getting older and that's how things are done now (I'm only 35 for god sakes), maybe I just saw this thread and it got to me.........But c'mon.

Attached is a screen shot to get you guys up and running on expressions. Please utilize the example expression sequence file so you can see expressions in actions.

Message 5 of 5
(5,543 Views)