From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TestStand Error -17600 when using Basic Function Generator

@~jiggawax~ wrote:

One thing you could try is put the file in a temp folder and then have a custom command run as part of the installer.  The custom command could copy it over to the Cfg folder.  This way the installer doesn't know that it's a file it installed and won't uninstall it.

Regards,

Makes sense. Thanks for the suggestion.
I'm half wondering if later versions of TestStand added improvements to the Deployment Utility. This is causing me enough stress that I would upgrade if the deployment were cleaner.

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 18
(2,143 Views)

You could look through the What's New In TestStand for the new versions of TestStand to see what improvements are there.  I know they added the ability to deploy to packed project libraries which has been a nice one.

2012: http://www.ni.com/white-paper/14148/en/

2013: http://www.ni.com/teststand/whatsnew/

Regards,

jigg
CTA, CLA
testeract.com
~Will work for kudos and/or BBQ~
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 18
(2,137 Views)

Just remembered the patching one.  It's a huge one.  Check it out on the what's new papers.

jigg
CTA, CLA
testeract.com
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 18
(2,134 Views)

Yeah. With my 2 hour deployment build, I get a lot of time to catch up on white papers. 🙂

I've also had time to rewrite the vi.lib VI that I was using so hopefully that will fix it.

Thanks for the links.

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 18
(2,129 Views)

I find that when builds are taking a long time it is usually related to search directories.

You should not put any search directories before the TestStand directories in the search list.  This will dramatically slow down TS if you have a large hierarchy tree because TS will traverse it looking for all of the native stuff.  Which happens a lot under the hood.

Also, you should try and minimize searching through large hierarchies as much as possible.  It's better to have a bunch of search directories with only a couple subfolders than a huge one with a large sub tree.

Just some pointers and reducing build time.

jigg
CTA, CLA
testeract.com
Message 15 of 18
(2,124 Views)

@~jiggawax~ wrote:

I find that when builds are taking a long time it is usually related to search directories.

You should not put any search directories before the TestStand directories in the search list.  This will dramatically slow down TS if you have a large hierarchy tree because TS will traverse it looking for all of the native stuff.  Which happens a lot under the hood.

Also, you should try and minimize searching through large hierarchies as much as possible.  It's better to have a bunch of search directories with only a couple subfolders than a huge one with a large sub tree.

Just some pointers and reducing build time.

Thanks for the tips. I do try and periodically sweep up the Search directories since I do think TestStand ends up looking around in our source control repo way too much. I had been using the Search subdirs checkbox to reduce the number of entries but in retrospect, I see why that is a bad idea.

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 18
(2,121 Views)

It gets murkier.

I think the issue has to do with licensing.

On an account that can grab an evaluation license, the sequence runs fine.

After the evaluation license period runs out, the sequence fails.

Under accounts which can grab a developer license, the sequence also runs fine.

I'm starting to see this in Systems that have been deployed in the field now.

Things are about to get ugly for me.

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 18
(2,114 Views)

OK. I'm good now.

Got pointed to the root problem in another related thread.

KB Article on Error -17600

My actual solution was to include a wrapper to the vi.lib VI inside of my Packed Library. That way there was no inconsistency in the file loads because everything was contained in the Packed Library.

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 18
(2,110 Views)