From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TestStand Deployment Error -41

Hi.

I have been using TestStand for many years, but have never had the need for using the Deployment Utility.

Now I have a project that requires a deployment, and so I am trying to create one. But I keep getting a couple of completely useless error codes. I have attached a screen shot of the log. The first error with code -41 is not listed in the official list of codes as far as I can tell.

I use TestStand 2016 with LabVIEW 2016

I hope someone can point me in a direction on how to debug this. Thanks.

Best regards
Jens Christian Andersen.
CLA, CTA, CPI
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,508 Views)

Hello J.C_Andersen,

I have a couple of troubleshooting steps/questions for you 

1) Have you made sure that you have no other instances of the installer session open that may be be running while creating a deployment or have no other instances of the deployment utility running?

2) Try to use just one simple VI sequence to see if this is error is related to the code that you want to deploy.

3) Is the computer you want to deploy your code with in a possession of HD or SSD?

4) Have you tried deplying the code on the different machine?

5) Could you see whether you are able to build the sequence when using  USB? 

Let's see what those steps bring!

Kind Regards,

-Natalia

Applications Engineer

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,434 Views)

Hi Natalia.

Thank you for your answer.

I have not tried all your suggestions yet, but I will answer some of the questions you ask, and then maybe you have more questions to follow up.

1. Yes, I am sure that I am not running any other instances of the deployment utility, and I am not running any other installers on the machine.
  2. I will try this later today, and post the result.
  3. The computer has SSD only. I am running the TestStand and the deployment utility on a Windows 7 64 bit on a VMWare 11 virtual machine. My host OS is Windows 10.
  4. Not yet. So far this is our only TestStand 2016 machine, but I will have another one set up soon.
  5. I am not sure that I understand this question correctly. Do you want me to set a USB disk as the destination for the build or do you want me to put the source files in a USB driver and then build them?
Best regards
Jens Christian Andersen.
CLA, CTA, CPI
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,400 Views)

Hey J.C_Andersen, 

5. Yes, set the USB as a destination for the build

Kind Regards,

-Natalia

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,398 Views)

Hi Natalia.

We have now found a solution and I am afraid that there might be a small bug in the Deployment Utility.

First I did as you suggested, and made a deployment of a single sequence with just one step and one VI residing in a subfolder in the same directory as the sequence. This resulted in the same error -41. Then I stated looking at the setup page for the Installer, since this where the error comes from. Here I had changed the default setting for “Default Installation Base Directory” from “Program Files” to “TestSatnd Public Documents Directory”. I then changed it back to the default setting, and the build succeeded!

I have not tried all the other settings, but It seems to me that there might be a bug here. In the project I am working on now, it is not important if I install the system in one place or the other. So I can get one with the job now.

Thanks.

Best regards
Jens Christian Andersen.
CLA, CTA, CPI
Message 5 of 7
(3,394 Views)

J.C.,

Thank you for bringing this issue to our attention. I've file a report for this bug with ID 603148.

Jason H
Automated Test Software R&D
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,262 Views)

I had the same error, -41 followed or proceeded by 19046.  Tracked it to my installation naming.  Used TS/LV in the name.  I think windows choked on the "/" in the naming - removed it and build successful!

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,448 Views)