NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TestStand Deployment Engine Serial Number

Is there a way to get the Serial Number/License of a TestStand Deployment Engine that is installed on a PC?

The NI License Manager does not report the Serial Number of the Deployment Engine.

I have even tried to search the Window Registry.

We have over 100 TestStand Deployment Licenses in our installed software database. Split between BASE and DEBUG Deployment.

But I can’t find any way to tell/verify which license is on which machine. Just about all are on XP machine that are in need of replacement.

Just about all are TestStand 4.1

Omar
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(4,342 Views)

First of all I'm sorry that NI convinced you that a Debug deployment license was a viable option... 😉  I actually didn't know people would purchase those.  That's funny.

So the license files are stored in %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\National Instruments\License Manager\Licenses.  I was hoping the serial number would be in there.  But it's not.

One thing you might want to consider to manage this a whole lot easier is to talk NI into giving you a VLM that you can put on a server and adding all your deployment licenses to it.  We do this and it has saved us thousands, if not 10s of thousands of dollars.  Now we can manage all the deployment licenses on the VLM.  It has also forced us to follow the NI license agreement a lot closer than we were.

Sometimes you can't have all the computers on the LAN.  In this case you can just assign disconnected licenses but still have VLM manage it for you.

Your last option would be to set up your own spreadsheet and manage it in there.

We were in the same boat as you a few years ago.  So we contacted NI and got a list of all the licenses we had purchased in the last 10 years and threw them up on VLM.  Then we had IT go through and look for a specific license file with an activated code inside of it on all the machines on the LAN.  We got that list and contacted each of the PC "owners" and had them switch to point to VLM.  In most cases we found the licenses weren't needed anymore so we could transfer those.

Hope this helps,

jigg
CTA, CLA
testeract.com
~Will work for kudos and/or BBQ~
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(4,330 Views)