NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TestStand Database

Solved!
Go to solution

Is there anyway to flush the database without shutting down TestStand?

I have a project that generates lots of data and with a 2G file limit for the database it get full within a few day. TestStand runs contiunally so i was wondering if there is a way to copy and rename the existing file and then copy an empty database file back in without stopping Teststand?

Thanks for any help.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(4,941 Views)
What database are you using?
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(4,931 Views)

I am using the Generic Recordset that is built in to TestStand 2013.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(4,863 Views)

This doesn't answer the question. It answer how the database has to look like for TS to be able to log into it.

What is the DB provider you are using?

Please note that TS is a client of the database. The client has to call into the database for modification of the data inside the database. So it is depending on the database provider if there is an easy way to "reset" the database/tables.

Also you might find Google a good source for information regarding SQL table 'resets'.

Norbert

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(4,860 Views)

Sorry, i misunderstood the question.

It is set up in TestStand to use the Access Database, this generates the TestStand Resuls.mdb in C:\Users\Public\Documents\National Instruments\TestStand 2013\Components\Models directory. When TestStand logs results it generates a locking file TestStand Results.ldb (I think that is the extension) and this file does not get released until the current sequence is stopped exited.

Because my application generates vast amounts of results the .mdb file get full in a couple of days, this is in a production environment so the operator can not stop TestStand from running in order to copy\rename the full database file to something else and then generate a fresh database file.

If I select a different Database Management System, say Oracle, would i get a larger .mdb file? Is the fact that i have set it to Access limiting the size the file can get too.

Thanks for the help. 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(4,857 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author WayneR1
You would obviously not have an mdb file with Oracle or SQL Server but, yes, the file size limit would be much higher. The management would be more robust and the locking would not be so obtrusive.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(4,853 Views)
I don't know much about Oracle but be aware of the difference between SQL Server and the express version. The free version does have size limitations.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(4,846 Views)