From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TestStand 3.5 has 17501 error

Our company just gave us new computers, and in doing so, also upgraded us from Labview7.1/TestStand 3.1 to Labview 8/TestStand 3.5.  When I try running a sequence that worked with the previous versions of the software I get a Sequence Editor error message that says:

Model entry point 'Single Pass' could not be executed.  Unexpected Operating System Error.  Error Code: -17501 Source: 'TSAPI'

I am trying to run the sequence by selecting Execute->Single Pass.  The first step in my sequence is an ActiveX/COM step that uses a DLL created by our company.  It doesn't even get to this step.  Any ideas on what is causing this?  The help file doesn't give much assistance on this error...

Thanks,
-Bill

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,889 Views)

Hi,

The sequence file has to load all the components of all the steps that have the default load settings before it starts to execute any steps. It usually says where the error occurred.

What was the complete error message, maybe you could post a screen shot?

What was your previous operating system and the new operating system?

Regards

Ray Farmer

Regards
Ray Farmer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,875 Views)
I've got more information that may indicate the problem - our company uses a program to automatically push applications to our computers over our network.  When I got the new computer it kept saying it was trying to install Labview 7.1 and the installation failed.  I looked today when getting a screen shot of the error message, and TestStand 3.5 is starting Labview 7.1, so apparently the installation was complete even though the message told me it was not.  So I have both Labview 7.1 and 8 installed.  7.1 is not registered.  I'm guessing this caused the problem?  I put in a help ticket to our IT department to get 7.1 removed.  Will I need to have 8 reinstalled after that?

I did take a screen shot of the error message - it is attached.  Previous and new OS are Win XP Professional.

-Bill

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,871 Views)
Hey Bill,

You should be able to see if LabVIEW 7.1 and 8.0 are installed by going to Add/Remove Programs, selecting National Instruments Software, and selecting change.  If they are listed here, then most of the components should be installed.  TestStand 3.5 is compatible with LabVIEW 7.1 and 8.0.  It will open whichever is the active version of LabVIEW.  You can view this by going to Configure>>Adapters and configuring the LabVIEW adapter.  The active version is just determined by whichever version of LabVIEW was opened most recently.  All of this aside, are you able to create a new sequence with a LabVIEW step and run it without this error coming up?  Also what were you referring to when you said that LabVIEW 7.1 was not registered?

Pat P.
Software Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,849 Views)

Our IT department removed Labview 7.1 and I can now run my sequences - I didn't have a chance to try what you said before they removed it, but apparently something in my sequence didn't like 7.1.

As far as registration, whatever happened to mess up that 7.1 installation apparently didn't include however we license it.  I can't remember exactly what it said, but the 7.1 install was prompting for something like a registration code?  Our IT department is actually coming to our desks to install everything, and when I watched them do the teststand 3.5 install it included them registering/activating the software - I later got an email from NI with an activation code for TestStand 3.5.  We do have a lot of people running licenced versions of labview 7.1/teststand 3.1, but it looks like the mistaken install on my machine didn't register the software...

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,826 Views)

I also work for the same company as Bill and I am currently experiencing the same error.  I have performed the steps listed above and LabView 7.1 is not listed as an installed software package.  Furthermore, the error seems to only occur when running a test sequence I developed in TestStand 3.1.  I currently have a support ticket #7129161 awaiting a response from the application engineer.  I thought I would post here as well since some investigation has previously been performed on this issue with a setup very similar to mine.

Screenshot of error attached.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,733 Views)
I have solved my issue by upgrading my control module communications protocol interface software.  I do not know why this works because it should have no effect on TestStand operation but it solved my issue.  I can now run single pass from the execute menu without error.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,691 Views)