NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TestStand 2013 ships with invalid SQL scripts

Hi all,

I tried to submit this through the official support channel, but ran into this roadblock. So, I'm reporting the issue here.

=================================================

I wanted to set up TestStand to log results to an SQL Server 2008 R2 database. I followed the instructions at http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/370052M-01/tsfundamentals/infotopics/database_logging/

I tried to run C:\Program Files\National Instruments\TestStand 2013\Components\Models\TestStandModels\Database\SQL Server Create Generic Recordset Result Tables.sql However, SQL Server reported that the script contains syntax errors.

To fix the issue, I had to modify the script (replace "//" with "--", and replace "~" with ";") before running it.

It looks like other scripts in this folder have syntax errors too. Please fix the SQL scripts shipped with TestStand.

Certified LabVIEW Developer
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13
(5,096 Views)

JKSH -

Can you please indicate in what application you ran the scripts?

Scott Richardson
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 13
(5,077 Views)

Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio. It's a tool that comes bundled with SQL Server itself.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13
(5,058 Views)

Hey JKSH,

Thanks for reporting this--we've filed an internal report for one of our developers to examine the syntax of our SQL files.

In the meantime, it sounds like you were able to work around the issue by changing the characters in the scripts, but have you run into any other problems using the scripts? I'd be happy to help out in any way I can. Just let us know if there's anything we can do to assist!

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 13
(5,027 Views)

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for following up with this. I've had no other issues so far, but I'll post a new question if I need any more assistance 🙂

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13
(5,009 Views)

Hi,

The issue still persists. TestStand 2014 still ships with invalid SQL scripts.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13
(4,347 Views)

You are correct, the script files and the Database Viewer application in 2014 still do not support default SQL delimiter syntax supported by specific DBMS SQL applications, but we would like to fix this in a future major release.

Message 7 of 13
(4,303 Views)

Please correct the comment syntax too. The current one uses two forward slases ("//") -- of all the DBMS systems supported by TestStand, only Sybase supports this syntax. The most common syntax is two dashes ("--").

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13
(4,283 Views)

Hi JKSH,

Yes, we have noticed this too and when we fix this issue, we will update both the comment and the command delimiter characters to match the default values in the different DBMSs we support.

Message 9 of 13
(4,272 Views)

Not only does TestStand 2014 ship with invalid scripts, but it appears that the scripts do not even create all of the tables that are defined in the schema

For example STEP_NUMERICLIMIT1 and STEP_NUMERICLIMIT2 are not created.

Are there more up to date versions of these scripts?

Yes, it is not that hard to modify , but not everyone will know how to do that and the scripts really should work out of the box

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13
(3,478 Views)