NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TestExec.ini version control

In the TestExec.ini, is there a way to separate the settings made from the "Configure" menu, like TraceEnable, SearchDirectories etc. from things automatically changed by the TestStand environment which do not affect the execution of test sequences (like Config.FileDialogDirHistory?

We have this file under version control in our systems so that all stations have the same basic configuration and the automatic changes by the SequenceEditor mean that we get a lot of different revisions of this file that do not reflect a conscious change of configuration.

Regards,

Peter

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(4,657 Views)

Hey Peter,

I don't believe it's possible to separate out these items, but you may be able to control the ones you care about by pragmatically configuring the settings through the TestStand Engine and Application Manager APIs. You can pragmatically generate and/or manage a list of search directories using the SearchDirectories Class.

Hope this helps.

-Jack

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(4,634 Views)

I have the exact same issue, and have for literally years.  Our situation is, we source control testexec.ini, becuase I want to replicate the custom path information, which is stored in testexec.ini, among our other stations.  But, whenever I start teststand, it tries to write to testexec.ini for some reason,  and I get the "can't write to testexec.ini" message because this file is set to read only when checked in (which in our case is most of the time). I have become so accustomed to clicking this message that I dont' even think about it.  But, I do have a request to the developers.  Please store path information (paths configured under configure/search directories) to a file all by itself, or to a file that does not share so much other information that testexec.ini stores (which is a lot).  I notice there is a file called teststandperistedoptions.opt, that appeared around TS2010, that perhaps a lot of the testexec.ini stored stuff can be migrated to?  That way maybe I won't get this message every time I start teststand.  Thanks

David Jenkinson

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(4,140 Views)

Please create an idea exchange post for this if you have the time.

Thanks,

-Doug

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(4,129 Views)

Done

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(4,118 Views)