NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TS freezes when an XNET error occurs

Hi all,

I've made few step types which embbed XNET code to read/write CAN frames.

These step types comes with Edit step so that the settings are made easy.

However, if the user set the step wrong (bad CAN interface or whatever), at execution the module produces an error (which normal).

In case of error, the execution goes to cleanup (which might pass or fail, depending of the error) and the execution stops.

Here comes the problems :

• Unloading modules makes TestStand unresponsive (complete freeze)
  • Relaunching the execution after correcting the misconfiguration allows passing Session initialization and first read/write action. But second action produces error saying that 2 sessions are tryong to do the same action at the same time and then TestStand freezes. In that case the error says that something went wrong with the XNET driver and that I should check the XNET logs in the app data folder...

In both sitautions I must kill SeqEdit task, relaunch TS to continue working on my sequence

Anything that I'm doing wrong ? Is this a known bug ? Any workarounfd ?

CLA, CTA, LV Champion
View Cyril Gambini's profile on LinkedIn
This post is made under CC BY 4.0 DEED licensing
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,672 Views)

Hi ZyI7,

There have been issues working with XNET and TestStand before so this might not be an issue on your end. I don't believe this is a known issue but I think the best way to narrow this issue is to clarify some of the software versions as well as configurations.

What version of TestStand and XNET are you using?

What operating system are you using?

If you don't unload the modules, does the issue persist?

Can you click a correct step after an incorrect step, or does the software stop working?

Are you following regular procedure for error handling?

Regards,

Ali S.
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,644 Views)

Hi Ali,

Thank you for your answer.

Here are the requested details :

What version of TestStand and XNET are you using?

• TS : 2014 SP1 32 bits
  • XNET : 15.0

What operating system are you using?

If you don't unload the modules, does the issue persist?

If I don't unload the module case 2 appears : session is initialized without errors, first write takes a long time to execute but step exists without error, second produce an error saying that the session is already used for the same action by another ressource.

Can you click a correct step after an incorrect step, or does the software stop working?

After an error occurs, TS freezes completely. I can't do anything except killing SeqEdit.exe

Are you following regular procedure for error handling?

Yes I do. Init steps are in setup step group, close steps are in cleanup step group. Module error is linked to Step.error and station/sequence/steps are set so that no error are ignored.

CLA, CTA, LV Champion
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,630 Views)

Zyl7,

I can't comment either way at this point but this could be a bug in which case we can try to replicate your setup and try to get it resolved internally.

Would you mind posting or sending in your code?

Regards,

Ali S.
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,599 Views)

I don't personnally mind, but it is a code developped for a customer and I wouldn't like to share it here.

Any way to send it to you so you can try what happens ?

CLA, CTA, LV Champion
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,597 Views)

Zyl7,

I think the easiest way to do it to either call in or open a Service Request with this forum post attached. This way, we can respect your customer's confidentiality while trying to resolve the issue.

https://sine.ni.com/srm/app/getassistance

Regards,

Ali S.
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,594 Views)