NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Step Precondition = False but Step Additional Result Still Executes

I have an Action step in my sequence where I run a LabVIEW VI and store data to a local in TestStand.  Within that step, I added an additional result for this local so that I can view it in the test report.

I have a precondition set for this step as well.  If the precondition is NOT met, the step should skip.  When the precondition is NOT met, I notice the LabVIEW VI will not run but the Additional Results will still execute and then TestStand will error saying the local is an empty string.

When a step's precondition is NOT met, why does the step still execute the Additional Results?  How do I get around this?

Thanks so much!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,937 Views)

Personally I think this is a flaw with TestStand.  I wish that there was some checkmark that you could check that if the precondition was false then an entry wasn't made.

If you look at the step actions: http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/D1970FCB4DB2347C86256DDB004FAD9E

You will see that the Precondition does indeed execute the Fill Out Step Result action.  Which is putting in your additional results.

You can condition those Additional Results to check if the Local is empty to suppress the error.  However, the ResultList will still be populated for the step.  The only way to get rid of it is in a step afterward or the PostResultEntry Callback.

Regards,

jigg
CTA, CLA
testeract.com
~Will work for kudos and/or BBQ~
Message 2 of 5
(3,925 Views)

Thanks jiggawax for the information.  Is there a way to get NI involved to push for this flaw to be fixed in TestStand?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,917 Views)

Idea Exchange?  You are welcome to post there.  I'm not sure they see this as a flaw.

jigg
CTA, CLA
testeract.com
~Will work for kudos and/or BBQ~
Message 4 of 5
(3,907 Views)