NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share different multiplexer channels when using Autoscheduling

Is there a way to isolate different channels of an RF multiplexer using Autoscheduling? I have one channel of the multiplexer tied to my signal generator and one channel tied to the signal analyzer. When I put the "Set RF Channel"(connecting the multiplexer to UUT) test step into the autoschedule "Tune Tx Output" it's locking the multiplexer resouce from being used in the "measure Rx Sensitivity" autoschedule step.  

Is there a way around this? I would like to lock access to a particular channel on the multiplexer, but still have the ability to control two channels using different autoschedule steps. 

Thanks in advance for any ideas you have!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,454 Views)

Hey LooseConnection,

Can you clarify which module, and what topology you are using?

I'll be honest, I haven't working with Autoscheduling before but...

In the mean-time, if you find them useful, here are some resource on using switches with TestStand:

< http://www.ni.com/white-paper/10092/en/ >

You can also check out the "Use Auto Scheduled Resource" Dialog box.  This provides some additional information on locking resources through Autoscheduling

< http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/370052N-01/tsref/infotopics/db_config_resource_step/ >

Hope this helps!

-ChristophersonJ

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,424 Views)

ChristophersonJ,

Thank you for the reply, I checked out the two links you recommended. I believe the IVI switch step points me in the direction I would like to go. I have a PXIe-2746, quad channel,  4 to 1 RF Multiplexer. 

http://sine.ni.com/nips/cds/view/p/lang/en/nid/213160

I have one channel (Common)  connected to the RF Signal generator and then to my 4 UUTs in my test adapter. I have a second channel (Common) on the PXIe-2746 that is connected to the RF Signal Analyzer. I use a mini-circuits single pole, double throw RF switch to connect the UUT to the Sig Gen MUX or to the RF Sig Analyzer MUX. The switch is driven by a DAQ pin and a transistor driver. 

To decrease test time, I would like to use auto scheduling to jump from transmit power tuning or to measuring receive sensitivity if another UUT slot has those functions tied up. Both functions execute in about 5 seconds when I run them in single threaded operation. 

I understand the lock function that is associated with the Auto scheduling function ( I think....). What I would like to do is treat two channels on the MUX as independent instruments. I want to reserve the Receive Mux (channel 0) for the first application that hits that point in the program, but would still like the ability to switch the transmit MUX (channel 1)  if that resource is required/freed up. 

I think if I lock the instrument in the auto schedule step, I will not be able to switch the either channel until the lock on the instrument is released. 

I'm sure there is a clever way around this, I've just been unfortunate enough to stumble across it. 

If you have any suggestions, I would be grateful. 

Thank you again for taking the time to respond. 

Thanks,

-Joe

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,403 Views)

Hey Joe, 

Is there a reason you can't use flow control steps instead of Auto Scheduling?

Something like:

If (resource in use)

-> Goto measure sensitivity step group

end

I think this would serve roughly the same functionality.

Otherwise I think you can use the lock step to prematurely unlock a resource.

I honestly don't know how this will affect your scheduling in general, but you could give it a shot.

Frankly, I would probably recommend using other synchronization methods than Auto Scheduling for simplicity's sake. 

We can also keep digging together if you would like.

Regards,

ChristophersonJ

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,349 Views)