cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sequence Context vs. Parameters

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

What is the best/most efficient way of communication with a VI and why? Passing down the Sequence Context, or passing parameters directly to the VI controls?

Regards,

Chris

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(4,719 Views)

Chris,

there are two situations where you might want to use the SequenceContext as parameter (and use get/set property for data exchange) over direct parameter passing:

1) You inherit code from TS 1

2) You want to exchange more than a dozen of parameters, but, for whatever unlogical reaon, you are not willing to create nice data structures (=> clusters) out of those parameters

That being said, passing parameters directly is superior in nearly every aspect.

Norbert

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(4,715 Views)

Hi Norbert, 

With TS 1 are you referring to a specific version of TestStand?

"That being said, passing parameters directly is superior in nearly every aspect."

Can you elaborate on this a little?

Regards,

Chris

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(4,712 Views)
Solution
Accepted by chris86

Chris,

yes, i refer to TS version 1 as in that version, it was the only way to pass parameters to LV code modules (i think in TS 2 as well, but i am not sure which version brought the "generic parameter passing").

Well, what should i elaborate? Direct parameters are faster, more secure, improve modularization and debugging (you can test your VI outside TS, no?) and create much better readable code. There are for sure additional things i forgot about.....

Norbert

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
Message 4 of 4
(4,710 Views)