NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sending 2 parallel sequence contexts to 1 LabVIEW VI

I'm trying to run a DAQ VI that handles all inputs and outputs of a system that can talk to 2 parallel custom user interfaces running in a sequence called from the Parallel Model in Teststand 3.5.

Test sequence A has a GUI that handles all the inputs and outputs for testing part A.

Test sequence B is identical (same sequence, called in the parallel model) that handles all the ins and outs for testing part B.

The DAQ VI is launched in the first sequence and runs in a separate thread and uses the sequence file context to read inputs and set outputs from the GUI (using fileglobals).  This all works great when run as a single test station in the Sequential Model, but I can't figure out how to load the DAQ VI with 2 valid sequence contexts from 2 parallel running sequences.  Globals can't save valid sequence contexts, LabVIEW 2 style globals don't work either.

Should I be passing the Model Context and digging through it for running sequences?  Any ideas would be appreciated.  It seems that someone would have crossed this bridge before...

Thanks,
J.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,720 Views)
Did I stump the experts?  Or does the question need clarifying?  I've done a lot of searching on the Developer Zone and didn't see any information about this (except confirmation that Sequence Contexts are only valid in the VI that is called directly from TS), so any help would be appreciated!

Thanks Again,
J.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,693 Views)
Hi J,

I'm a bit skeptical of the passing sequence context method.  How are you determining if the context is valid once the DAQ VI receives it? Even though I'm not intimately familiar with your system, from my understanding of your application, a more reasonable approach would be to use Synchronization Step types (i.e. Queues, Notifiers, etc.) to send the desired information between the DAQ VI and interfaces.  Using these steps would allow you to pass the sequence contexts as well but, again, you would need to implement logic to confirm the reference will be valid during the entire lifetime of it's use in the DAQ VI.

Either way, I'm pretty sure digging through the Model context is NOT where you want to go.

Have a great day,

Ecleamus Ricks, Jr.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,687 Views)