NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Runtime engine for TestStand And LabView runtime Engine

2 questions:

1) Do I need a license for every computer that will run TestStand or is there a way to have a runtike engine to only perform
the test on a specific machine. (Something simuilar to the LabView runtime engine I guess)?
We would like to have a development machine and a production machine. Since the production machine must be as clean as possible,
we would like to install the minimal amount on software on it.

2) When testing for deployment a TestStand Application, only the LabView 6.1 runtime engine was listed.
Since I have an evaluation version of LabView 7, Is this the reason why the engine is not listed in TestStand.
This should not matter too much since we are supposed to upgrade to 8 soon.

Thanks

EG

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(6,473 Views)
EG,

(1)  Yes, you do need a license for every computer that will run TestStand.  The TestStand Run Time Engine requires activation.  NI offers three different types of licenses for TestStand:  base, debug, and development.  In order to create sequences, the development level software is required.  The debug license is intended for execution of sequences and allows for operators to debug sequences.  The base deployment only allows for operation of sequences.  The base deployment contains the least amount of software and is also the least expensive.  It is a good option for production machines.

(2)  I am unsure where the LabVIEW run time engine is listed in your TestStand application.  Are you referring to the Configure -> Adapters dialog?  TestStand should be able to find the LabVIEW run time engines on your system.  The development system listed only refers to the last version of LabVIEW that is opened (the active version).

If you upgrade to LabVIEW 8, you will need to upgrade your TestStand software to version 3.5.  TestStand 3.1 is incompatible with some of the new features within LabVIEW 8 and may cause some sequences to not run properly.

Please let me know if you have any more questions.

Tyler Tigue
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(6,449 Views)