NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RunTime Error when opening Excel File using Property Loader

Have a sequence that uses Excel to hold properties and test limits. The Test Sequence uses the Property Loader to load specific properties and test limts with respec to section names. A Run Time error is encountered when the property loader attempts to open an Excel Instance but the operator has an Excel worksheet open and a worksheet cell is active (menaing the operator is in the process of updating a value within a cell).  Is there a TestStand option that cna ignore this RunTime error and open an Excel Worksheet even if a Worksheet Cell is active in a different Worksheet?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,861 Views)
  1. You can ignore run-time error in general (go to Property Loader Step Settings, tab Run Options, flag Ignore Run-Time Errors). But this will just clear the error, and I'm afraid, that you'll not be able to get data from Excel worksheet - b/c in this case internal error of Property Loader step type occurs.
  2. Possible solution - to create your own parser of Excel file; in this case it's possible to have Excel worksheet opened by user, and to read data from it by code module. You can simply use LabVIEW Report Generation Toolkit for Microsoft Office for it...

logos_middle.jpg

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,834 Views)

Hi Kevin,

I'm pretty sure this is a limitation of Excel and not one of TestStand or the Property Loader step. When you're editing a cell in Excel, you can't do anything else like open another file or create a new blank workbook from another instance of Excel, or do any file manipulation until you get out of the cell you are editing. I'm not 100% sure of this, but I think Excel is what's blocking the Property Loader step; it's not a feature of TestStand.

What you could do is check to see if the Property Loader step errored, and if so, prompt the user to complete their edits before continuing. Then swallow the error and retry the Property Loader operation.

Hope this helps!

-Jack

Message 3 of 3
(2,831 Views)