NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Report in XML format cannot be opened in Chrome or Firefox browsers

If I set the report format to XML, the report can be opened correctly in Microsoft Internet Explore, but not in Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox browsers. Is there a reason for this? Any workaround to cope with this problem?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(6,824 Views)

I've noticed this as well.  Surely the answer is simple.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(6,821 Views)

I did a quick search on google and it seems that this could be related to the browser having this functionality disabled due to security reasons. I found this post that addresses it and suggests a fix (for Chrome).

Hope this helps.

Tarek B
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(6,777 Views)

Hi Tarek,

I tried out the various approaches listed in the posting, including the switch "--allow-file-access-from-files". None of them worked (nothing showed up in Chrome [blank screen] when the report XML file was opened).

Then I removed the following line in XML file:

<?xml-stylesheet type="text/xsl" href="C:\Program Files\National Instruments\TestStand 4.2.1\Components\Models\TestStandModels\StyleSheets\horizontal.xsl"?>

The raw XML showed up in Chrome.

When I replaced "horizontal.xsl" with my own XSL file (not designed for TestStand XML report file), the content showed up (of course, with wrong format).

From these experiments, I think the XSL files provided by TestStand installation are not designed to display XML content in every browser.

Thanks,

Leo

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(6,753 Views)

Currently, we only support Internet Explorer for viewing XML reports--I've also heard of people having success with other XML viewer applications (and in some cases, other browsers), but IE is the only one we can guarantee will work. For more information on the supported software, see the TestStand Release Notes.

It's possible that creating a custom stylesheet would change the compatibility and might allow the report to display correctly in Chrome or Firefox, so that might be one approach to making it work. Another option would be to create an HTML report instead of, or in addition to, the existing XML report. The HTML report can be viewed in Chrome or Firefox.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(6,735 Views)