From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Report Generation broken after deployment - Excel Set Cell Color and Border.vi

The workaround does solve the problem when I have encountered it.  However, to extend on information regarding the problem, I've noticed that it happens whenever I transfer a project using the Excel Set Cell Color and Background.vi to a computer with a new installation of LabVIEW.  This project is not an executable.  My experience has been with LV 2010 and 2011 (including SP1).  This project does use the Report Generation Toolkit vi's.  All computers have been Win7.

I'm adding some images of the parts of the vi when broken and fixed.  It might be useful to note that the vi opens with the dirty dot already there after a fresh install.

broken:                                               fixed:

ESCCaB broken small.png                 ESCCaB fixed.png

0 Kudos
Message 21 of 26
(2,667 Views)

I right clicked on the broken invoke node and clicked the "relink" option. That fixed it.

I resaved it and re-built my exe file. It worked for me.

CLD Certified 2014
0 Kudos
Message 22 of 26
(2,649 Views)

Also just experienced the same problem with a project.  Exact same project on another PC has no problems.  When I tried to build on my laptop, a broken VI was found and that killed the build. 

The broken VI was the Excel Set Cell Color and Border.vi.  Relinking the Invoke node solved the problem.  Kudos to you Ching-Hwa_Yu, Google found your post here. 

I haven't seen a definitive reason for why this happens.  The original PC was also running LV 2011 but it did not have any version of Excel installed.  My laptop has the same version of LabVIEW, but it also has Excel 2010 installed. 

---------------------
Patrick Allen: FunctionalityUnlimited.ca
0 Kudos
Message 23 of 26
(2,527 Views)

I'm experiencing a similar problem.  The computer that I have developed and compiled my application has Labview 2013, report generation 2013, and office 2010.  The computer that I am deploying to only has office 2003.  The application will compile fine and the executable runs fine on my office 2010 machine.  However on the office 2003 machine I get the error with the "set color and border" vi.  My understanding based on reading this thread is that the "border around" method has changed from execl 2003 to 2010.  So is it possible to compile a labview application that will work with excel 2003 and excel 2010?

0 Kudos
Message 24 of 26
(2,240 Views)

sbrettsc,

I have read through this forum and have come to a similar conclusion as you. It seems the ActiveX controls for the Set Cell Border and Color have changed from the different version of Excel. 

Take a look at this forum post. Darren's answer explains how you will need to build a separate EXE for each different version of Microsoft Office.

Robert R. | Applications Engineer | National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 25 of 26
(2,218 Views)

Guys, the solutions is very simple,

just right click on the Invoke node and Choose option, relink...

and thats all,

have fun.

Message 26 of 26
(1,909 Views)