From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Relocation of teststand Public directory: experiences

Hello!

According to this article

How to Configure a Custom Public Directory for TestStand 

it is possible to define a different location for the directory 'Teststand Public'.

Also there is written:

Note: Having a Custom Public directory is not a fully tested feature. It is possible to run into unexpected
behavior if using this method.

Because I have a big framework I am very much interested to have this framework in a dedicated location (D-Drive) which should include the public folder because of type palettes and station callbacks and so on. For the Cfg location we have implemented this relocation since years now.

My question:

a) From NI standpoint: is the Note still correct for Teststand 2013 or Teststand 2014?

b) Who has experience with this -> who runs this configuration i a PRODUCTIVE ENVIRONMENT.

Thanks

weltaran

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(4,368 Views)

weltaran,

We had the same problem where we had a whole bunch of TestStand developers and wanted them to get "live" udpates to the framework.  So we all pointed our public folders to a folder hierarchy in our Source Code Control.  It has worked amazingly.  Here are a couple rules I'd implement:

1. Only selected developers can edit the code in the public folder
  2. The hierarchy should mimic that of the TestStand and TestStand Public folders
  3. Don't put any native code in there (i.e. code that ships with TestStand)
  4. Have a utilitiy that quickly points and unpoints a machine to the location (this has been a lifesaver)

At one point we had about 35 developers sharing a public folder.  We currently have reduced that down to about 11.  Our team just got more efficient 🙂

Cheers,

jigg
CTA, CLA
testeract.com
~Will work for kudos and/or BBQ~
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(4,353 Views)

Dear weltaran,

as far as I could see in our internal database that note in the knowledge base article is still valid. The custom public directory remains a not fully tested feature.

Best regards

AndGar

Andreas Gareis
Senior Applications Engineer, NI
Certified LabVIEW Developer & TestStand Architect
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(4,297 Views)