From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with TestStand (IVI) and the Agilent E3643A DC power supply

Hello,

i use TestStand 3.0 and the Agilent E3643A DC power supply. If i use the IVI driver in TestStand (functions like configure or initiate or ...) i get a beep and one of the following error messages: (!!!But the instructions are executed successfully!!!!)

-103 Invalid separator
An invalid separator was found in the command string. You may have used a
comma instead of a colon, semicolon, or blank space - or you may have used
a blank space instead of a comma.
Example: TRIG:SOUR,BUS or APPL 1.0 1.0
-113 Undefined header
A command was received that is not valid for this power supply. You may have
misspelled the command or it may not be a valid command. If you are using
the short form of the command, remember that it may contain up to four letters.
Example: TRIGG:DEL 3
(from the Agilent E3643A DC power supply data sheet)

I have installed the actual IVI driver from the NI device driver network. I use COM1 with following settings: 9600/8/None/2/DTR/DSR.

Is there something wrong with driver, the settings in MAX or with Hardware (Firmware?).

Thank you

Kai Schwekendiek
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(4,218 Views)
Dear Schwede,

is the driver the latest driver, which you can download from the website?
Take a look on the agilent website to search for the driver.
LINK: http://adn.tm.agilent.com/index.cgi?CONTENT_ID=2604
Could you test or communicate the DC Power supply in MAX?

Best regards.

SebastianN
NI Germany
Message 2 of 7
(4,184 Views)
Hello Sebastian,

i have the latest driver. The communication in MAX works and the communication with the Agilent driver (vi`s age364xa) in LabView works too. But if i want to communicate with the LabView driver (hp364xa) or with TestStand (ivi hp364xa) it don´t work. I think the problem is the initiate with options vi. There must be some parameters that don`t match with the device.
Driver problem? The NI driver runs with the hp364xa_32.dll and the Agilent driver with Visa.

Thank you

Kai
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(4,173 Views)
Hello Sebastian,

i have the latest driver. The communication in MAX works and the communication with the Agilent driver (vi`s age364xa) in LabView works too. But if i want to communicate with the LabView driver (hp364xa) or with TestStand (ivi hp364xa) it don´t work. I think the problem is the initiate with options vi. There must be some parameters that don`t match with the device.
Driver problem? The NI driver runs with the hp364xa_32.dll and the Agilent driver with Visa.

Thank you

Kai
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(4,172 Views)
Hello,

in the VIs of the package age364xa you can have a look into the VIs and use this commands in TestStand. Or you can make a VI using your commands with the age364xa-driver or with the visa driver and use this in TestStand. Another posibility is to ask Agilent.

Matthias K
Message 5 of 7
(4,155 Views)
Kai -
Have you tried to use NI-Spy to see specifically what commands are being sent to the instrument, and which command is failing. NI-Spy allows you to see the command text, any return values and any error details. NI-Spy is in the Start menu under the National Instruments program group. You can also export a trace for others to look at if necessary.

Scott Richardson
Scott Richardson
Message 6 of 7
(4,150 Views)
Hello,

thanks for your answers. I have made a vi with the agilent driver and use it in TestStand. But I think the NI driver don`t work. That is not good because I can`t use the IVI functions for it in TestSand.

Greetings

Kai
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(4,135 Views)