NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem of window priorities with LabVIEW 8.x & TestStand

Dear TestStand users,

Using TS3.5 & multi-versions of LabVIEW including LV8.x, I encounter a problem with display priorities of LV8.x windows (Edition & Run) called in TestStand sequences.
After one first call, next calls lost hand on window (I have to click in window to recover the good hand on window...

Observations:
- Only seen with LV8.x and not LV7.x
- Recognized with development system (with source code) as well as with RunTime Engine use
- Recognized in edition of Step as well as sequence execution.

In attached file, to demonstrate, the zipfile contains a sequence TS3.5 named "JDE_ModalWin_090621.seq" using a StepType "ModalWin" (to install in Component of TestStand3.5 folder). You can see 3 calls of the same VI written in LV7.00, LV8.01 & LV8.20 using RunTime Engine mode with different behaviours depending on LV version.

Is it a bad use from me? Is there a solution with advanced properties of TestStand? or is it a confirmed bug?

Thanks,
Best regards,

Julien
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,254 Views)

Hi,

If you had just one of your ver8.x steptypes in a sequencefile, you get the same affect, ie, first time loaded and run the panel is active, the second time etc, you have to click on the panel to make it active. So it doesn't matter if you mix your RTE versions.

I set the Show Front panel when called in the Specify Module dialog. Now the VI is active when displayed all the time.

Why the difference between Ver7.0 and Ver8.x, I dont know, but its probably a good idea to set this setting either in the Specify Module dialog or in the VI properties, if its a Modal type dialog you are after.

Regards

Ray Farmer

Regards
Ray Farmer
Message 2 of 5
(3,217 Views)
Hi Ray,

Thanks for your interest concerning my problem.

I knew that mix LVRTE versions in one sequence didn't matter but it was only to show differences between LV versions (LV 7.0 works properly vs LV 8.x encounters problem).

You wrote:
"I set the Show Front panel when called in the Specify Module dialog. Now the VI is active when displayed all the time."
... but I am not able to confirm it. I have already made tests but it didn't work better.

Moreover, with my previous developments, I was not used to check the option "Show Front Panel when called" in Specify Module dialog  because of a inelegant short twinkling when VI dialog windows appear. To avoid it, I used to work only with VI appearance properties which produce better results.

to be continued...

Bye,
Julien
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,198 Views)
Erratum,

When I said it didn't work better with "Show Front panel when called", it was only with LV8.01. It works properly for LV8.20 but with the damaging twinkling when loaded or leaving, previously described.

Sorry,

Julien
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,190 Views)

The issue discribed by Julien is also visible with the example provided with TestStand :

<TestStand>\Examples\ModalDialogs\LabVIEW\LabVIEWModalDialog.seq

Using LV8.0 or above, the dialog box is not active when it appears (which is a strange behaviour for a modal dialog box) !

Something has changed between LV7.1 and LV8.0...

Also, when using the TestStand - Start Modal Dialog.vi, the specify module option "Show  VI front panel when called" is not supposed to be checked. Isn't it ?

Jean-Louis SCHRICKE
CTA - Certified TestStand Architect (2008 - 2022)
CTD - Certified TestStand Developer (2004 & 2007)
CLD - Certified LabVIEW Developer (2003 & 2005)

Message 5 of 5
(3,163 Views)