NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Parallel or Sequential Process models

Dear LabVIEW and TestStand community,

let me, please, ask you for an advise.

I have to implement test sequence for 2 DUTs, which will be testing in parallel. All hardware will be separated for them, and I need just to synchronize start and stop of testing.

The question is - what is better to use for this task? Parallel model, or Sequential model, when sequences will run in parallel threads?

Parallel model is OK, but has a bit more complicated control of test sockets, as for me. In Sequential model I can explicitly see, when sequence is started.

But, for Sequential model all my VIs should be reetrant, b/c in other way they'll simply block each other, if I understand correct. With Sequential model I don't have to carry about.

What would be your suggestions or comments, please?

Thanks a lot in advance!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(4,179 Views)

If you need to synchronize the start and stop then I'd go with the Batch Model.  It's the best for your scenario.

Anytime you have synchronization and multiple threads then Batch is the best choice.

Consider the image attached.

jigg
CTA, CLA
testeract.com
~Will work for kudos and/or BBQ~
Message 2 of 6
(4,167 Views)

Thank you very much for the answer!

But could you, please, also tell, whether it's possible to do the following:
- start one thread, to determine how many DUTs are present in the system;
- based on the result launch one or two threads?

Should I use for this Execution Entry points? And how to launch two threads with different parameters - let's say, I want to pass into one threads number of lines to test 0-31; and to the second thread lines 32-64? Could you, please, explain, or give an example of such implementation?

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(4,156 Views)

Let me know if this helps.

jigg
CTA, CLA
testeract.com
~Will work for kudos and/or BBQ~
Message 4 of 6
(4,142 Views)

Thanks a lot for an example!

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(4,117 Views)

Dear jigg,

thanks once more for an example, it inspired me. I will do the following: start two threads, and if one will not contain DUT, it will just simply fail.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(4,052 Views)