NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opening a Word document using Teststand 2010?

Hi,

I need help to open a word document using Teststand 2010. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

WJ

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(4,687 Views)

Hi WJ,

What exactly are you hoping to do with the Word document?  Do you want to read and write data to it?  Or open a TestStand report in it?

If you are hoping to manipulate a Word document or text file in general, I would recommend developing a code module in another language (LabVIEW, CVI, etc.) to do the lower level manipulation, and then use TestStand to call the code module.  In general TestStand is a test executive that is meant to integrate code modules written in various languages into one test sequence.   More information on code module best practices can be found here:

http://www.ni.com/white-paper/10369/en/

Regards,

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(4,653 Views)

Hi Lindsey,

Thanks for your reply, all I wanted to do is to open the word document and read it which contains instructions that need to be followed by an operator.

Thanks,

WJ

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(4,647 Views)

Hi WJ,

I would recommend creating a code module that opens the Word document and parses the text in it.  This function could return a string containing the text you want to display.  Then use an Action step in TestStand to call the code module and save the string in a local variable.  You could then display this text to the end user with a Message Popup step.

Regards,

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(4,580 Views)

Hi,

Thanks for all your replies, I think I have accomplished my goal using the call Executable see picture below

Open Word_TestStand.jpg

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(4,566 Views)