NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Tools Menu has only a "Customize..." submenu selection.

I am trying to export property loader limits to a source file as an easy way to create the correct file structure.  I am relatively new to TestStand, but I have done this before.  The TestStand help files say that "Import/Export Properties" should be a selection under the Tools menu, along with many other selections such as "Deploy TestStand System", "Sequence File Documentation", and "Database Viewer" - - -  but for some reason the only menu item that appears under the Tools menu selection is "Customize . . .".
Seems to me that I had problems like this before, and maybe I need to be in some particular mode first before most of the submenu selections are made available?  [If so, too bad the help doesn't tell me this.]

Can anybody tell me what to do so that the "Import/Export" selection shows up under the Tools menu and then I can export my property loader data to a file?  I'm pretty sure it's a simple matter, but I've searched the help files high and low without getting any help on the matter, and I've tried a million different things, but to no avail.  I'm terribly frustrated.   

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,181 Views)

Hi,

Do you have all the files or access to the files in the ..\TestStand\Components\NI\Tools folder

Regards

Ray Farmer

Regards
Ray Farmer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,176 Views)

Ray,

Looks to me as though the Tools folder is well stocked . . . .

Directory of C:\Program Files\National Instruments\TestStand 3.1\Components\NI\Tools

[.]                       [..]                      [AutomationIDUpdate]
[Converters]              [DatabaseView]            [Deployment Utility]
[DocGen]                  FixUpSeqFiles.seq         ForEach.seq
GenericImportExport.seq   [GraphControl]            ImportExport.seq
[LaunchMax]               [LVTECompatibility]       [Misc]
[StepIDConverter]         TSForEach.dll            
               5 File(s)        316,702 bytes
              12 Dir(s)  33,368,580,096 bytes free

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,165 Views)

I am logged on as Administrator. 

A coworker has the same issue with his installation.  We upgraded from TestStand 3.0 to 3.1 at some point.  Maybe, when I did the Import/Export previously, I was using 3.0 and it was installed or setup correctly, but my installation or setup of 3.1 needs to be modified.  I am sure that I and my coworkder both accepted the default 3.1 installation options.  We are too inexperienced at this point to do otherwise.

Anyway . . . to get past my immediate problem with Import/Export, I used the Customize... option, navigated to the Tools directory that you pointed out, and added the GenericImportExport.seq to my Tools directory.  That keeps things moving for now, but I hope that I can add all the tools that should be there without each developer having to add each tool individually.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,163 Views)

Rich,

Make sure you have the ToolMenu.ini file under <TestStand>\Cfg and that the file size is not 0KB.
If you do not have the file TestStand will generate it for you every time you launch it, but it will be empty.
This file keeps the tools menu configuration and If you delete it or rename it you will lose the configuration.
You could try copying the file from another system running the same version of teststand that you are running or you could try to reinstall Testand in order to recover the original file.

Hope it helps.

Message 5 of 6
(3,165 Views)
Thanks Antonio.  It was the ToolMenu.ini file that was the issue.  I am pretty sure that my coworker and I would have selected the default options when we installed/upgraded from 3.0 to 3.1.  Maybe because we upgraded, the upgrade utility does not create a new default ToolMenu.ini file -- which would make it appear as though all Tools menu customization was removed.
I copied the ToolMenu.ini file from my 3.0 directory to my 3.1 Cfg directory and it works just fine.  That's probably what the upgrade tool development team intended users to do.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,146 Views)