From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Missing Database Options under Configure menu in Sequence Editor

In my TestStand 4.0 Sequence Editor, the "Database Options" is missing under "Configure" menu. Does anyone know how to enable this option?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,978 Views)

Does this happen only when a specific sequence file is open, or with any sequence file (even a new one)? 

The Report and Database options on the Configure menu are populated by the process model being used by the current sequence file, so it's possible that the model associated with your sequence file has been modified, or this file may not have a process model set at all. If you go to Edit > Sequence File Properties and click on the Advanced tab, you will see an option to set the process model for the sequence file. Is this set to "No Model", "Use Station Model", or "Require Specific Model"? You could try choosing Require Specific Model and pointing it to the default Sequential model to see if this makes the option appear on the menu again.

If this was only happening on one file, setting that file's model to one of the default models would make that option re-appear. If it's happening with every sequence file on the computer, it's possible that the default Station Model is set incorrectly. This option can be changed by going to Configure > Station Options, on the Model tab.

Hopefully that will resolve the issue, but if not, let us know so we can help you troubleshoot it further.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,963 Views)

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for your detailed instruction. After checking the Model settings in both Sequence File Properties and Station Options, I found out that the default model was replaced by a custom one. When I change it back to default model, the Database Options item appeared !!

But I still have to use the custom model. Do you know how to modify the model to restore the menu item?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,936 Views)

Glad that was it! Definitely narrows things down.

These entries on the Configure menu are controlled by a special type of sequence in the process model called Configuration entry points. If you open up one of the default models, you will see a sequence in the Sequences pane called "Configure Database Options". This is the default database options sequence.

It's possible that your custom model contains a Configure Database Options sequence, but that it isn't configured to be an entry point. You can change this setting by right-clicking the sequence and choosing Sequence Properties. 

If the custom model does not contain the database functionality at all, further work may be required to add that functionality in. Here's a document explaining how to add new configuration entry points to a process model: http://www.ni.com/white-paper/3837/en Depending on whether this model was originally based on one of our default models and how much of the original database logging code is still present, it may require a fair amount of work to reimplement that functionality. It might be a good idea to contact the person who created this custom model to find out more information about why those database options were removed and how difficult it might be to reimplement them.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,931 Views)

You are very helpful! Since now I know why the Database Option memu item is missing and also find out that the database support has been removed from custom model, I will contact the original developers to get more information as you suggested.

Cheers Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,915 Views)