cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrate TestStand 2.0 configuration to latest version

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello, new to TestStand...

I have to migrate a client's project that was written with TS 2.0 / LV 6.1 to TS/LV 2016.  When I set the Station Options > Preferences > Configuratin Directory to the original Cfg directory and restart TS I get the following errors and the application does not start:

1. Could not find type 'TEInf'
  2. Creating an instance of the COM component with CLSID ... failed due to the following error: 80004005

Is there any tool, application note, etc. that can help me accomplish this migration task?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,591 Views)

See document: Migrating to the Current Version of TestStand.

There are some interesting notes about 2.0.1 or earlier.

Hope this helps,

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,566 Views)

I did read that app note and followed the procedure as best as I could understand it but I still get the same errors--and the app fails to launch--when I copy <TestStand>\Cfg (TS 2.0) to <TestStand Application Data>\Cfg (TS 2016).  What do I try next?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,547 Views)

Hi mstath,

Take a look at this article:

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/86A687C3DED2E533862574080077A95D

If you haven’t already checked, verify that you are launching the appropriate version of TestStand. You can use your Windows search bar to find the TestStand Version Selector utility, and from here select 2016 as the version of TestStand you would like to launch. See if this eliminates the error!

Ross S.
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,511 Views)

Hi Ross,

I only have one version of TestStand installed (2016).

I guess I should ask this question: is it even possible to migrate TS2.0 configuration to TS2016?  Or do I have to manualy configure TS2016 to match the TS2.0 configuration?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,498 Views)

Migrating from TestStand 2.0 is okay, but there are certain things to consider when uninstalling the previous version (which I assume has been done since only TestStand 2016 remains on your machine). The document SSPTest linked above outlines these considerations (see the block of text with the 3 steps immediately above the Migrating from TestStand 4.1 to 4.2.1 heading); can you verify that this process was followed when TestStand 2.0 was uninstalled?

Ross S.
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,466 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author mstath

After sharing the problem and configuration files with NI support I found out TS2016 doesn't automatically rename TestExec.ini to TestExec.ini.old (apparently it is supposed to).  If you manually rename the file TS will launch and accept the configuration.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,859 Views)