cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximum Step Size

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi BlueOne,

we a have baseless rumor here at our department that says the maximum step size is 6000.
I have just done a 2PowerX Copy paste with the statment type.

I have stopped pasting after 8192 steps inside the sequnce
and let it run. Works - perfekt as assumed!

So just to clarify. Is the there a maxium step size?

Regards

Juergen

--Signature--
Sessions NI-Week 2017 2016
Feedback or kudos are welcome
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(4,056 Views)

Juergen,

i have not found any information confirming or contradicting this officially. Fact is, that (as your quick test proves as well) i am not aware of a limit of "number of steps per sequence" in any TestStand version.

Granted, maybe there has been a limit in the past, but i doubt that.

I think the rumor originates by memory issues when loading tons of code modules for different steps on start of an execution.....

Norbert

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
Message 2 of 5
(4,049 Views)

I'm not aware of any artificial limits on the number of steps in a file, but as mentioned by Norbert, running out of memory becomes more likely as you add that many steps.

In general, it's probably best to keep sequences shorter than even the 6000 step figure mentioned--similar to having a 15,000 line C source file, a large sequence is more difficult to understand and work with. It'd be better to split such a large test into multiple subsequences, either in the same sequence file or in separate sequence files.

Message 3 of 5
(4,038 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author j_dodek

There is no hard limit other than available memory and address space. I recommend looking at how much memory you are using in the task manager and avoid going too much over 1 gig. 32-bit processes are generally limited to 2 to 4 gigs, depending on OS and version of TestStand (if you are using a 64-bit OS and TesStand 2013 you will have closer to 4 gigs available, so going to perhaps 2 to 3 gigs might be ok). If you are creating large blocks of memory such as large arrays, you might start getting out of memory errors well before 2 to 4 gigs though due to there not being a big enough continuous block of address space for such an array.

Hope this helps,

-Doug

Message 4 of 5
(4,030 Views)

Hi Doug and all others

Thanks for pointing out.

It is time for giving the floor a sweep....

Regards

Juergen  

--Signature--
Sessions NI-Week 2017 2016
Feedback or kudos are welcome
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(4,008 Views)