cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Log additional results from within a (LabVIEW) Step

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

Inside a LabVIEW TestStep I need to log an, at the start of the execution of the test-step, unknown number of additional results. These results are id's to other DB-table's and making them part of the step-results makes it easier to query the results together afterwards (this way each entry in the STEP_RESULT-table can be related to a number of entries inside PROP_RESULT-table which point to entries in other not standard TestStand tables.

Using the sequenceContext inside the LabVIEW-TestStep it's possible to log additional results into the Step-result container using the AdditionalResults.Insert method : SeqContext.Step.AdditionalResults.CustomResults.Insert("result)

I already noted that a Clear-method needs to be executed before starting to log additional results because else the results are appended to results from a previous run and are visible in the Additional Results View inside the  Step-settings in the sequence Editor. This last behaviour makes me think I might have the wrong solutions and will take performance during execution. I would think they are only visible during run-time as temporary variables.

Are there other ways to add programmaticaly additional results inside a test-step?

Is there a way to programmaticaly set the data-type of the AdditionalResults.CustomResult? Now it's always logged in the PROP_RESULT-table as String (TYPE_NAME-field).

Thanks,

Roger

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(4,969 Views)
Solution
Accepted by Roger_C

Hello Buster,

If I understand you correctly (which I am not a 100% sure), then you are looking for something like the following method:

"LogAdditionalResult Method" 

This method is fully described in the Help:

http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/370052M-01/tsapiref/reftopics/step_logadditionalresult_m/

If this is not what you are specifically looking for, then please share an example of what you are currently doing and indicate via this example what you would like to see differently/changed.

Concerning the Additional Result Type property:

Have you verified what the type is according to the following property?

http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/370052M-01/tsapiref/reftopics/additionalresult_type_p/

Do keep in mind the remarks concerning this specific property.

Kind Regards,
Thierry C - CLA, CTA - Senior R&D Engineer (Former Support Engineer) - National Instruments
If someone helped you, let them know. Mark as solved and/or give a kudo. 😉
Message 2 of 4
(4,941 Views)
Solution
Accepted by Roger_C

Hello Thierry,

Thanks for your answer.

A late reply from my side ... I missed your reply. For some reason I didn't had an e-mail notification of it. Today I just stumbled on this topic.

In the mean time I found a solution in the same direction you're pointing to.

The resulting implementation is shown in the following screenshot:

TestStandAdditionalResults.png

As noted in the "I64","U64"-case, something weird (bug?) is going on when you want the value's been logged as I64 or U64 and not as string. When you don't set the representation you get a "wrong representation"-error and I haven't found any clue of a solution in the help or NI.com. Setting explicitly the Representation of the PropertyObjectType solved it.

Kind regards,

Roger 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(4,671 Views)

Hello Roger,

Are you able to share an example that shows this error?

I am quite interested in lookin into the specific issue you are seeing.

Kind Regards,
Thierry C - CLA, CTA - Senior R&D Engineer (Former Support Engineer) - National Instruments
If someone helped you, let them know. Mark as solved and/or give a kudo. 😉
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(4,653 Views)