NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi everyone!

I'm working on justifying implementing teststand for test automation on the company where I work, so far it looks like it is the way to go, but they are some from the upper management  hesitating about it. One of the things that will be great for us (it will give it a +) is the ability to store the results locally on the station in case the database is offline (either server down or client disconnected from the network), and once it comes back, the data is uploaded to the database.

We want to use SQL server for the database. I was thinking to create a SQL server express locally on the computer, so all the results will always be stored in the station first, I have tried using the sql import/export wizard to import data from one sql server to another, but I haven't find any way to do it automatically, we are looking for a out of the box solution at no cost or very very cheap due it will be installed on every station.

Thanks for your help and Cheers!Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(5,473 Views)

Hi,

What we've done in the past:

-Store the results in a local DataBase

-Have a dedicated thread that transfers the local data to the distant database if connection is available. (this is quite easy to do, especially if you have the same tables etc...)

-Delete the transfered results from the local database

Regards,

Rodéric L
Certified LabVIEW Architect
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(5,463 Views)

Hi Rodéric! Thanks for your reply.

Just to clarify, if I'm understanding right, you mean that we should create a sequence that the only thing it will do is transferring data between local to remote databases and calling this sequence from the mainsequence and running it in parallel? Does this mean that this sequence will only run once the mainsequence is executed? If that is the case, we are looking on running the mainsequence start-finish for every UUT, all data will be saved locally and we prefer an external service or program running always transferring the data from one to the other, so we don't depend on mainsequence execution to transfer the data. Something else, I guess that the option you are mentioning is based on the Database modules included on teststand, right?

May be I'm understanding all wrong, I'm relatively new to teststand, so, if you have any basic example of what your are talking about or any useful link, I will appreciate even more Smiley Happy! We were looking for something out of the box, but if this is really as easy as you mentioned, we will give it a try.

Cheers!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(5,439 Views)
I wish I had code to share but it's gone, along with the company that no longer exists. What we did with assistance from it is write locally at all times the results to an xml file and use a service written in VB to transfer to the database. I'm not a VB programmer but I know the program was pretty simple. Sorry I can't provide more details.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(5,426 Views)
Solution
Accepted by abelino

abelino,

You could take advantage of the new features in the later versions of TestStand.  In 2012 and newer you can write raw results.  Just like Dennis was saying you could just always write the raw results.  Then use the new TestStand Offline Results Processing utility to write those to the Database: http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/370052K-01/tsref/infotopics/offline_processing_utility/

You could create a service or something to do this.

BTW- Plugins can run in their own thread.

jigg
CTA, CLA
testeract.com
~Will work for kudos and/or BBQ~
Message 5 of 8
(5,422 Views)

Hi there;

I agree... you can use the new report options to store your data in different locations and modify the sequence file callback to personalize it... 

This document might help and there is also a case study that you can use

Good luck 

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(5,414 Views)

Thats it!

This is the out of the box solution that we were looking for, no need to write any code at all. Now, upper management has no option!

Thanks a lot jigg!

Cheers.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(5,373 Views)

Thanks a lot everyone for you help/time!

Cheers! All are invited to the BBQ! Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(5,369 Views)