From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

License Manager Hanging

Hello All...

I'm having trouble with the NI License Manager (nilmUtil.exe).  I've installed a TestStand Deployment in a Windows 7 virtual machine and find that the License Manager will hang when attempting to change licenses.

Specifically, as part of the deployment installation I activated a license for TestStand Debug and now need to use the license manager to remove the license from this machine.  However, after starting, when I click on any of the license versions listed under TestStand in the manager (ex. Debug Deployment Environment) the app hangs and the detail view is only partially displayed (see below).

Any ideas how to fix this and is there an alternative method of uninstalling the license from this machine?

I've also downloaded the standalone License Manager, installed it... uninstalled it... reinstalled it.  No effect.

Thanks,

-- Terrence

NI License Manager Hang.png

Message 1 of 5
(4,485 Views)

If you open up the C: and then select Organize->Folder and Search Options->Show hidden files, this will allow you to see a hidden folder in the C: named Program Data. From there navigate to C:\ProgramData\National Instruments\License Manager.

There should be 2 folders there, Data and Licenses. If you rename the Licenses folder to something else, this will disassociate the local licenses with the computer. You can return the name to normal if you need to, so just rename the folder DO NOT delete it. 

Please let me know if this is what you were looking for. It sounded like you were looking to remove the license association with the computer.

Rob S
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(4,452 Views)

Using this technique I am able to remove the license.  However, I don't believe this is de-activating the license with NI.  I will need to use this same license on another system and I don't wish to run afoul of the license terms by seemingly activating the license on multiple systems.

Also, my ultimate goal is to replace the license on this virtual machine with a different license.  Without the License Manager working I am not able to activate a different license.

Any further ideas would be helpful.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(4,446 Views)

Terrence,

Are you using a Volume License Server? Even if not, you might check to see if NILM is looking for a server by checking in the servers.ini file. If so, that could explain the hanging you see when you start NILM. You can find instructions for disabling that check here.

Please let us know how it goes.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(4,444 Views)

Daniel... Thanks for the suggestion.  I am not using Volume License Server.  Following the instructions and retrying made no difference.

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(4,439 Views)